lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
BJustice
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery Cable Getting Hot

I have an 89 Marathon - resister cart. I have gone up one larger guage on the battery cables and one size on the motor. It has been this way for 2 years with no issues.

Recently, I noticed that the battery cable connected to the forward/reverse switch is getting really hot. Enough to cause the coating on the wire to bubble. It is just this one cable, not the others. I checked all connections and they are tight. Could my switch be bad? What could cause this?

Thanks!
BJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Cable Getting Hot

Heat is always caused by a poor connection! It could be your cable end not making a good connection on the switch, the terminal end on the cable is not making good contact to the wire itself, or the contact in the switch not making good contact on the wiper board. Check each one of these connections! Be careful feeling around for what's hot!!! It will get very hot!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I would probably replace that cable. If the cable looks at all bad or corroded, I would consider replacing them all. Just my opinion......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suspect the F&R is starting to melt down and the heat is showing in the soft cable cover. Remove the center pivot shaft nut and slide the shaft and the switch cam out for inspection . See diagram (note turn diagram upside down & eliminate shifter linkage for Marathon cart).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R-Exploded-View-for-print.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
BJustice
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your input. I took the F/R switch apart and found the nuts that go all the way through that make the connection to the rotating switch were lose and needed cleaning. I replaced two suspect cables, cleaned all the battery terminals, and tighten them. I have not gone on a long trip yet, but I think this should get it. Thanks again.
BJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJustice View Post
Thanks for your input. I took the F/R switch apart and found the nuts that go all the way through that make the connection to the rotating switch were lose and needed cleaning. I replaced two suspect cables, cleaned all the battery terminals, and tighten them. I have not gone on a long trip yet, but I think this should get it. Thanks again.
Keep an eye on it, those contact studs & nuts should not be loose from normal operation. My guess is a been getting hot and they have melted the housing a little bit. This results in a stud contact that sinks back away from the rotating contacts, the resulting poor connection causes more heat.

Caution when you tighten up the nuts it pulls the studs away from the Rotary contacts. I'm sure this makes sense - having seen the inside of the switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO