lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Allied Lithium Charging

This is just an FYI post.
I installed my Allied Batteries and charger, not knowing what the best practices were for charging.
I wrote to Allied and asked what the "Best Practice" was for charging and this is what I got back.

Asked:
With the allied charger, is it ok to leave it plugged in after charger finishes and the fan shuts off?
The scenario is the cart is at a campground. When done on Sunday I will plug it in and leave it until Friday when I get back there.
Is this practice good or should I remove the 110v power once complete?

Answer:
There are a few things we recommend with charging.
It is recommended to charge lithium batteries after every use. Lithium batteries can be topped off before use as well for additional runtime. Do not keep charger plugged in for more than 12Hrs or overnight. Using a shutoff timer may help for automatic charger disconnect. This will ensure longest battery life.
The timer is a good purchase for being away from the cart for longer periods of time. We suggest plugging in the charger to the timer and set the timer to charge the cart 15-30 (I assume Minutes) a day. This is only while you are away from the cart. If you use your cart daily, normal charging is recommended.

So for anyone with Allied that is wondering about this subject....

Brian
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
TheQMiami
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Allied Lithium Charging

Got a question for you.... and thanks for that post BTW...

So I just purchased a used cart with Allied batteries (48V, so 4x12V 80Ah).

The charger it came with shows the Volts in red but the Amps in blue are always at zero (0.00). Does this seem normal?

Another question, I assume a regular volt meter (Lead-based) does not work with Lithium as mine always reads FULL but the cart ran out of juice after around 15-20 miles of use. It's connected negative on the last battery and positive on the first battery. Do you use a special volt meter? If so, where did you get it?

Lastly, this is the config of my Lithium batteries, but when I look under their support, it only shows a Parallel setup rather than a series like mine. I wonder if this is a problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image21251.jpg (188.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image21252.jpg (192.3 KB, 0 views)
TheQMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Your Allied's have to be in series since they are each around 12 Volts. The newer ones are 48V and you run them in parallel to get more AH. You need a voltmeter that can read the higher nominal voltage that these batteries generate but it won't give you a very good indication of charge level. I don't know if Allied makes a decent SOC meter for these older batteries.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Doesn’t have to be an Allied meter. This is the one I use and recommend.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Renogy-Pro...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium