lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
okrobie
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help diagnosing and fixing Star EV. Won't start

Hello, Thanks for having this forum.

The batteries are fully charged and the gauges on the dashboard say Voltage ~50 and there is a gauge that says Fuel and it is maxed out.

By inspection I was able to identify 3 components and test them. 1. Huge knob with a red button. Out is closed and in is open. 2. Big solenoid under the drivers seat. Tried to hot wire it but couldn't get it to activate with 12VDC but maybe that's not the correct voltage. 3. Big fuse. seems to be good.

I don't even have an operators manual so I'm kind of as far as I can go for now.

Any help with documentation and advice would be much appreciated. Regards, Jim

P.S. Where will I find the 48/12 volt converter? I'm not ever seeing 12VDC on the solenoid. (but as I mentioned earlier I can't fire the solenoid with clip leads either)
okrobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
okrobie
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Need help diagnosing and fixing Star EV. Won't start

The solenoid does have a tag which states 48VDC. I tried 48 Volts and it does click.

P.S. I found a manual. It was simple enough. Just Google "schematic Star EV" and it comes right up, and does include ladder / logic diagrams of 3 different models.

(I'm a newbie so I can't post links yet)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
okrobie
Not Yet Wild

Can't find the forward / reverse switch. In all of the owners manuals I have seen, it is a 3 position rocker switch. On mine there is an unmarked 3 position rotary switch. Could that be the F/R?

I also have not been able to find the "run/tow" switch. Where is that?

The high amperage hot side of the solenoid is getting its proper 48VDC, but if you hot wire the solenoid, even though it clicks and connects 48VDC to the other terminal, nothing happens.

Also, when you turn the "ignition switch" nothing happens, not even the solenoid click. And, the auxiliary items such as headlights are not energized by the light switch on the turn signal handle.

I'm trying to report all symptoms. Is anyone able to decode the pattern?

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #4
okrobie
Not Yet Wild

I just did a test of the batteries using a state of the art tester. I found that even though the batteries seem to be charging nicely, they have a high internal resistance, in the range of 25M Ohms.

In other words, I'm wasting my time and yours unti can get better batteries

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-17-2021, 01:31 AM   #5
mlj427
Gone Wild

Just a few notes. When you turn on the ignition the only visible thing that happens is the state of charge meter lights up, no solenoid noise etc. The run / tow switch is under the seat back right corner on the frame post. Not at my cart right now but will try to get a picture over the weekend.
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
okrobie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj427 View Post
Just a few notes. When you turn on the ignition the only visible thing that happens is the state of charge meter lights up, no solenoid noise etc. The run / tow switch is under the seat back right corner on the frame post. Not at my cart right now but will try to get a picture over the weekend.

Maybe we are talking about a different model. I’ll attach a picture of my unit.

image.jpg
Old 07-21-2021, 12:50 AM   #7
mlj427
Gone Wild

That’s very different from my Star LSV
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay