lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
HennieB
Not Yet Wild

Default Is it possible to rewire a 36v golf cart to run without a curtis controller?

Hi all

I have an unnamed 36v Golf Cart (probably a China model).
I bought it second hand and it was working fine until one day it just died under me, while still driving.

After a lot of testing it seems that the Curtis 1243 controller has blown some transistors and has a lose capacitor.

In South Africa these controllers are very expensive.

Is there anyway to rewire the cart or use a cheaper speed control method, than buying a new controller?

Regards
Hennie
HennieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is it possible to rewire a 36v golf cart to run without a curtis controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennieB View Post
Hi all

I have an unnamed 36v Golf Cart (probably a China model).
I bought it second hand and it was working fine until one day it just died under me, while still driving.

After a lot of testing it seems that the Curtis 1243 controller has blown some transistors and has a lose capacitor.

In South Africa these controllers are very expensive.

Is there anyway to rewire the cart or use a cheaper speed control method, than buying a new controller?

Regards
Hennie
Early carts used resistor coil drive systems. You could convert to this old system IF you had access to all the components in good condition.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
HennieB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is it possible to rewire a 36v golf cart to run without a curtis controller?

Thank you.

I have been looking into that.
Looking at the V-Glide + resistor cables option.
Is there anyone who could supply me with some good pictures of this setup. I downloaded diagrams, but it would be great to see how it all fits together.

My batteries, motor, solenoid are all in good working order. I don't even need a forward and reverse switch, just would love the cart to be running again with minimum effort and lowest costs.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These wire diagrams are in the stickie notes at the top of this forum. Be aware that most people replace these resistor coil drive systems when they begin using the carts off road or for an activity with higher demands than a game of golf.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
crash test dummy

if needed i can supply photos and a service manual for a 93 club car
could you post photos of cart and the battery area ?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Take a picture of what you have.. It may be the same as a standard American version. If so, you may be able to find a used one that will work..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
HennieB
Not Yet Wild

Here is a few photos. It is the best I can do for now, the cart is at a workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf cart batteries.jpg (174.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart motor.jpg (182.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Golf cart - controller.jpg (168.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

More clear pics of ALL the electronics please. Maybe wait for the dust storm to stop or wipe off the camera lense?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
HennieB
Not Yet Wild

LOL, i will do so.
It is Africa after all!! :D
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
crash test dummy

yea ... but you can tell it's an ezgo knock off
scotty ... could you sell him a Curtis 1243 controller ?

Tags
1243 curtis controller, rewire
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts