lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2016 yamaha Drive: storage/battery charge question

I would read the manual and see if they say anything about the charger maintaining your charge. I know that mine doesn't recycle until I disconnect it. I have no idea what they have changed since 2012. You might want to contact Yamaha and ask them about it. If not, I would go with a maintainer as it will keep your batteries topped off which extends their life.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You should always put you run/tow switch to tow when you are charging. That will save the controller if there happens to be any type of voltage surge, or lightning.

I am not sure the difference between DC and AC.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Use one of these, i've had my for two years without issue. Puts out about 2 amps. No offf gassing. Restarts if power goes out on its own. Will keep 48v pack at a constant 53 volts.
http://www.granitedigital.com/saveabattery.aspx

Shop around, prices vary.
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #14
dawgboy47
Not Yet Wild

I checked my charger manual and it says the following. Please let me know if I will be fine to just use this for storage charging, or if I will still need something else? On the charger itself says (( "Multistage battery charger/maintainer" ))Thank you!

yamaha(2016)
Durring operation, the charge algorithm controls both voltage and current for precise charging. The 3 LEDs will illuminate during the five step charging cycle to indicate the state of charge as described below:

Step 1(pre test)
Upon connection to battery pack, all 3 LEDs blink for once, then power indicator turns on and charging indicated blinks for 10 sec.
This step applies tests to the battery pack.
Further charging is prohibited if unsuitable conditions are found such as reversed battery polarity or over/under voltage.
The duration of this step is dependent on the condition of your battery -approximately 10 sec under average circumstances. The worst case would be several hours if your battery was less then 42v.

Step 2 (constant current charge)
yellow LID(charging) illuminates continuously indicating that the charger is charging the battery at full rated output.

Step 3( constant voltage charge)

The charger now regulates voltage instead of current.
While the charger maintains a constant voltage, the charge current gradually decreases.
During this phase the yellow LED(charging) illuminates and green LED (Charged) blinks.

Step 4(Topping off)
Yellow and green LEDs light when the chargers determined that the battery pack has reached 90% capacity.
This step ends when the charge is replenished to 100% capacity.
Charging is completed when only the Green LED(charged) remains illuminated.
If charger detects that the battery needs to be boosted at the end of this stage, then the charger keeps operating for an extra 4 hours.
This additional function is called “boosting” and green LED(charged) remains illuminated.
Upon charge completion, the charger’s DC cord can now be disconnected from the charging receptacle by grasping the plug body or handle and pulling the plug straight out of the receptacle.

Step 5 (Storage)
Only after the completion of step 4, and after 14 days of time has elapsed, AND if the battery voltage falls below 48v dc, the charger will restart a new charge cycle routine( steps 1-4 above), and restore battery to full capacity.
If during any part of the step 5 charging process, AC power should happen to be disconnected and reconnected, the charger will restart a new charge cycle.
If the charger finds an abnormal charge condition while charging, it will attempt to shutdown and indicate the “condition” by blinking it’s red LED.
dawgboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like you are good to go with that charger then.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
Use one of these, i've had my for two years without issue. Puts out about 2 amps. No offf gassing. Restarts if power goes out on its own. Will keep 48v pack at a constant 53 volts.
http://www.granitedigital.com/saveabattery.aspx

Shop around, prices vary.
Yep, that is what I have. This is the second Wisconsin winter with it, and so far so good.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #17
dmjohn29
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Sorry to resurrect an old post. I have the same charger as dawgboy47, which supposedly will maintain the batteries while my cart sits in storage for 8 months.

Is there any advantage to using the save-a-battery over my Yamaha charger?

Thanks.

Last edited by dmjohn29; 01-13-2017 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling
dmjohn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjohn29 View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old post. I have the same charger as dawgboy47, which supposedly will maintain the batteries while my cart sits in storage for 8 months.

Is there any advantage to using the save-a-battery over my Yamaha charger?

Thanks.

THIS... "after 14 days of time has elapsed, AND if the battery voltage falls below 48v dc, the charger will restart a new charge cycle routine" is NOT the prefered method of extending battery life. Not saying it is really bad but the best way to avoid sulfation is to keep batteries fully topped off 100 % all the time with a constant small charge that keeps just below the point of outgassing.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #19
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
THIS... "after 14 days of time has elapsed, AND if the battery voltage falls below 48v dc, the charger will restart a new charge cycle routine" is NOT the prefered method of extending battery life. Not saying it is really bad but the best way to avoid sulfation is to keep batteries fully topped off 100 % all the time with a constant small charge that keeps just below the point of outgassing.
I agree with Teecro, 48v is less than 50% SOC. which means your charger is not gonna come on till your pack is at less than 50%, they will last longer at a level voltage rather than up and down. The other thing to consider is depending on how long you are away from the cart, and how often it drops below the 48v mark and recharges, it is possible to lose enough water to expose the plates.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha