lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Love my new battery caps

Well so far so good!

I've gone through a few charge cycles after topping off the batteries with water before putting the new caps on. I did a deep cleaning of all the batteries, posts, cables and even replace a couple of sections of the battery tray with some angle aluminum. I then sprayed a fresh coat of bed liner back on the tray.

Zero acid is found and the tops of my batteries and still just a dry as the day I cleaned them.

Thanks for the heads up on these water miser caps!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

so far so good , to bad the price tag is so high.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Yeah, that was my only hang up.

But considering I hopefully plan on using these batteries for a few more years, I wanted to cut down on maintenance as much as possible.

My next purchase will be lithium or maybe even sell and get a gas cart, who knows?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
so far so good , to bad the price tag is so high.
The price is a bit high but worth it if you have batteries that consistently mist acid droplets when charging. I used to dread having to charge my batteries and clean up afterwards ... now I plug in the charger and smile when I see the dry battery tops after charging. I did not get to the stage of corroding out my battery trays, but with my previous "leaky caps", I could see that this was a real possibility in the future. The reduced "watering" is also a tangible advantage.

With my previous caps, some of my batteries that I thought were dry, were in fact very lightly misted with acid ... and it was only obvious when the battery tops lightly bubbled when washing them down with baking soda water solution to find out that they were actually losing acid too. You might have to factor reduced baking soda purchases into the economics of these caps . Another possible savings "could" be in longer battery life ... so these caps "could" potentially pay for themselves! I have no interest in this company, other than to pass on to other BGW members that this is a great product (made in the USA) to address the issue of leaky battery caps when charging

NCPW - I am glad that they are working for you too . Give us another update in a few months and let us know if you are seeing reduced watering frequency too.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

A little update on my caps.

I'm not very happy with them a this point. I'm still having to clean the acid pool and mist off of almost every battery after each charge.

Matter of fact; I can clean the pooled/misted acid after charging and leave the cart sitting for 24 hrs (off the charger) and come back to more acid on top of the vent holes of the caps. I'm having to refill batteries every 2-3 charge cycles too. Very frustrating trying to keep a clean battery tray.

I may have to give that Water Miser 100% satisfaction guarantee a try.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

NCPW,

Your experience it totally the opposite of mine ... sorry to hear that they are not working for you . My problem has gone away since installing them ... I have even increased my electrolyte level to that recommended by US Battery at 1/4" below the sight well. I even accidentally overfilled a few just into the sight well and still no problems with acid leaks. I have also done a few equalization charges where the battery pack boils away for an hour or so with no leaks. I had some left over baking soda mixed up so sprayed the battery tops with it and they was no bubbling whatsoever! I remain very happy with mine.

You might want to double check that your 1/4 caps are tightened fully to the stops (I found them hard to grip when tightening) and that the caps are fully snapped down ... it takes a lot of pressure to fully close them until you hear the "SNAP".

What level are you maintaining your electrolyte at?

The only other difference is that you went with the Medium caps and I went with the Tall ones since I have the room. I wonder if that is a factor (shouldn't be I would guess). We both have US Batteries which I understand are more prone to leakage so you too should be seeing better results.

Let me know if you are able to resolve this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Miser Battery-Vent-Cap-Cut-Away.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #17
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I've tightened and retightened each cap multiple times but I think my pooling is due to the weeping from the vent holes and settling around the cell wells.

I keep my water level below the recommended 1/4" below the sight wells to be safe so over filling shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I have noticed is not all of my caps "click" when closing them. I'll start taking notice if those are the caps that leak the most from here on out and maybe I'll contact Flow Systems to see what they say.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

You definitely have to press hard to make mine click. I use my thumb and apply what seems to be an uncomfortable amount of pressure to get them to click. Once they are clicked in place, it takes a pretty good force to pry them open with my fingers.

You might want to try clicking them closed with something like the soft end of a hammer handle or something like that you can lean into a bit more than just thumb pressure.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:30 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

While I really love the idea (and wanna try them myself), there is one claim I'm gonna have to call "totally bogus". And that one is "reduced fumes/no more smell". That one has to be bogus, because the caps alone cant change the nature of how a lead battery works. I still want to try a set & see. I have seen them "in the wild", and sure didnt see any problems regarding the other claims.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #20
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I love the ones I got but a a little side note is , you have to clean them about every six months . take them off a soak them them in a 10 to 1 baking soda mix.

from flow systems

CLEANING WATER MISER BATTERY VENTS - As some batteries age, they will produce greater amounts of lead oxide as the interior plates degrade through normal usage. If this is the case, you would notice a sticky dark gray residue on the inside of the caps. In some cases, this will cause the Water Miser's to not function at 100% capacity. Solution....Clean the Water Misers using a baking soda and water solution to loosen the buildup inside the cap. Mix a 10 to 1 water to baking soda solution in a bucket or small bowl. Let the vent sit overnight to neutralize and break down any electrolyte in the caps. Next take a closed cap and force water through the vent holes in the top of the green portion of the flip-top. Water should drip freely through vent holes. If water passes through the vent holes, you know the pathway is clear. Let the vents dry. Once dried, shake the vent to make sure the condensing beads on the inside of the vent slightly rattle. If you do not hear the beads, let dry for an additional 12 hours or repeat the process above.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acid, battery, cap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts