lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Dbrockman1972
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Need advice on electric

Hey guys (and gals)
I have a '73 Harley 4 wheel project underway. It was electric, but I changed it to accept a Polaris Scrambler 400 engine, trans, and rear end. It was fun and fast, but stinky, noisy, and mixing the gas was a pain (2 stroke). I recently cut the cart in half and extended it 40" and found another body to cut up into a front seat pod to make a true 4 seater. I was going to use the Polaris drive train again.
Here is the question. I bought the wife a clean 36v EZGO Marathon cart for cheap. Long story short, her son wrecked it. Didn't seem to hurt the mechanicals, just bent the body and front cowl frame beyond repair. The Polaris stuff needs gone through (top end, silent chain, etc). I am considering using the EZ-GO electric drive train and steering stuff. The Polaris will be a lot of work to redo the fuel system, throttle and brake system, cooling system, and exhaust system. The EZ-GO stuff should be easier to get in there. With 25" tires, I know I will need to update the EZ-GO stuff with some better components. This project is going to weigh a lot, and have big tires. Will the electric system be able to pull this with a 48V higher amp system? I would really like the simplicity and silence of the electric system, but I also want a bit of performance to go with the attitude of the finished product. Any thoughts either way are welcome. Thanks. This is a really crappy paste up of what the cart will kind of look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart mock up.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
Dbrockman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need advice on electric

48v will 100% pull your cart. Get with ScottyB at Carts Unlimited about upgrade options for the EZGo.

I have what was a 36v EZGo 6 person shuttle that weighs 1600 pounds empty, easily over a ton with people on it. It was a dog with 36v. I upgraded it to 48v and beefed up a lot of the components (not the motor though) and that thing will now not only pull the loaded shuttle but it will also tow a car when doing so.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Dbrockman1972
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks! That is good to hear. I would like to keep the stock motor for now, but I will get a controller and that will work with my accelerator pedal. I will have to figure out what controller will work with the stock motor now, and a beefed up motor in the future if I decide I need one, or burn up the stock one. Looks like its time to tear the old EZGO down.
Dbrockman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

While I have no doubt 48V would be better, I think 36V with the correct controller and such would be fine too.
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrockman1972 View Post
Thanks! That is good to hear. I would like to keep the stock motor for now, but I will get a controller and that will work with my accelerator pedal. I will have to figure out what controller will work with the stock motor now, and a beefed up motor in the future if I decide I need one, or burn up the stock one. Looks like its time to tear the old EZGO down.
Yep. I kept the stock motor but upgraded the controller, solenoid, and F/R switch. I also went with all 2g wiring that I made myself. The stock motor will not produce a ton more speed, I think I went from about 11 mph to about 15 mph. To be honest, on a cart that big I wasn't shooting for speed. Too dangerous with sometime 8-9 teens on it. Torque is what I needed and, man, does that thing have it. At Halloween time that shuttle gets loaded with 6-7 adults and pulls a hayride which consists of a 5 x 8 utility trailer with 6 hay bales and about 10 kids. It's amazing how easily it pulls.

Now, my shuttle is not lifted. Lifts add speed while lessening torque. I need the torque to manage the cart's weight so I didn't want to go that route. You may be able too, though. That will be a fun project either way.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
MPrimeaux
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Yep. I kept the stock motor but upgraded the controller, solenoid, and F/R switch. I also went with all 2g wiring that I made myself. The stock motor will not produce a ton more speed, I think I went from about 11 mph to about 15 mph. To be honest, on a cart that big I wasn't shooting for speed. Too dangerous with sometime 8-9 teens on it. Torque is what I needed and, man, does that thing have it. At Halloween time that shuttle gets loaded with 6-7 adults and pulls a hayride which consists of a 5 x 8 utility trailer with 6 hay bales and about 10 kids. It's amazing how easily it pulls.

Now, my shuttle is not lifted. Lifts add speed while lessening torque. I need the torque to manage the cart's weight so I didn't want to go that route. You may be able too, though. That will be a fun project either way.
That's a really good point. Probably get bashed for this, but opinions vary... My cart will do somewhere around 16-18 mph (little more down hill, little less up hill) with stock motor and 36V. I have to say, I rarely find a situation where I hit max speed. I'm either in a campground, in the woods, or in my yard and even at those speeds it will beat you to death or get pretty squirreley... With that same set up I can also pull a boat or a 5x10 trailer around my yard with no trouble.
MPrimeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts