lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Rachelcosden
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman UTV MAX 1998 won’t run just clicking

I just got a 1998 Cushman utv max batteries are good there was no cilicking of the selinods so I bypassed the seat switch then they started clicking forward and back switch. Also gas pedal switch creates a clicking sound but it is still not engaging drive motor. Any thoughts on repairs/problems?
Rachelcosden is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman UTV MAX 1998 won’t run just clicking

Welcome to the BGW Forum.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your cart that you can post (even a photo) ... that will help in trouble shooting your cart. What is the model number? 36 or 48 volt?

A few photos of the battery pack and control areas will help in assessing your cart.

It sounds like your bypassing of the seat switch resulted in some power getting getting to your forward / reverse contactor. So that means that your solenoid must be working.

This post might give you some more trouble shooting ideas by checking all of the connections: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-posting.html

When was the last time the cart was functional? How old are the batteries (check for date stamp codes on the lead posts and decipher with the attachment below).

"Batteries are good" is a relative statement. The following will help you to assess "how good" they are. Fully charge your batteries, unplug the charger and let the battery pack stabilize for 12 to 24 hours without any use. Then take the battery pack voltage and the voltage of each battery (report to 2 decimal places i.e. 6.37 volts). Compare that to the attached state of charge chart to get a really good idea what your battery pack condition is. You then will want to repeat the same test with the battery meter connected to the pack and then press the accelerator pedal to "attempt" to go and see what the "loaded" battery pack voltage is. If there is a significant drop in voltage (2 or more volts), then you should repeat this "load" test on each battery to identify which battery is "dropping out / failing" on you.

If you pass all of this preliminary testing, you will then be able to staring checking other components after the battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US Battery -Date Codes.pdf (250.1 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Rachelcosden
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help it is 48 volt model 898670 . I ended up charging battery’s with 12 volt charger 2 at a time than onboard changed overnight . Voltage in each battery 6.3 it does run now but I hear a whining sound form motor I think . Lack of power on hill also any thoughts thanks again
Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

How long after charging did you measure the 6.3 volts? It takes 12 to 24 hour for the battery voltage to stabilize after charging to get an accurate representation of the condition of the batteries.

If you are struggling to make it up the hill, that too is a sign of weak batteries.

Were you able to determine the age / date of your batteries?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
Rachelcosden
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for info Battery’s read 6.34 after 1 week Have not found date on battery’s yet I am still getting a high pitch sound when I push on the excellerator to go. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

A light whining sound from the motor is not unusual ... my cart motor has a light whine to it when accelerating and when coasting ... I think that is normal but this is the only cart that I have ever owned ... perhaps other members can tell us about their experience with "cart whine" (not cart wine)

So I think a low whine is normal ... but a high pitch sound could be motor bearings or wheel bearings.

You might want to jack the back wheels off of the ground and rotate each wheel by hand to see if you can determine where the sound is coming from. You can also try to SLOWLY rotate the wheels with the cart jacked up (and on safety stands) using the motor and see if you can find where the sound is coming from. Be very careful to not over rev the cart as electric motors have been know to fly apart if you exceed the maximum motor rpm.

Perhaps post a few photos of your cart, batteries and motor.

Another though, have you checked the level of the differential fluid? It might be a good time to drain and refill your differential to see if that makes any difference ... not sure of the capacity but it should be less than a quart. My cart "transaxle" capacity is 24 oz. of SAE 80W90 GL-5 (Hypoid) ... I used synthetic in mine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts