lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Pat_3647
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad Boy Recoil IS fault 51

Can anyone tell me what the fault code “51” is for a 2015 recoil IS? The right controller shows codes 51 and 72 the left controller shows 72 as well. I found the 72 on the Curtis site but the 51 is Bad Boy specific. I’ve tried contacting EZGO (they told me to contact my nearest dealer) and every dealer within a 3 hour drive and no one works on these things anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Pat_3647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Default Re: Bad Boy Recoil IS fault 51

51 is not actually listed in the recoil manual. 72 is a CAN fault, it may be the other controller thats having a fault. Do double check that you are reading the blinks correctly though. I find its common they're not interpreted correctly.
Red blink x1 (indicating first digit)
Yellow blink x'value'
Red blink x2 (second digit)
Yellow blink x'value'

so your 51 would be R,Y,Y,Y,Y,Y,R,R,Y
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Pat_3647
Not Yet Wild

Yes that is correct RYYYYYRRY THEN RYYYYYYYRRYY then the cycle starts over the other side is only flashing 72.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Since the 72 would indicate a CAN issue I would investigate those wires. Should be a yellow and green twisted pair on pins 23/35 or 21/34 on each control, they should be linked 1:1 check the continuity.

Specifically 72 means one control, usually the master, sent a message over CAN and did not get a response back from the slave. This would be either because:
1) CAN lines are not making a good connection
2) Master or Slave is not functional - not powered on, 5V line dead, CAN transceiver chip dead

If you have a oscilloscope you could probe these pins and look for a square wave signal, if it has a lot of jagged spikes or curved rises and falls then that may be the issue. Other than that there isn't a lot of testing that can be done in the field.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Pat_3647
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check into the noted wires. Much appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #6
ebneruh54
Not Yet Wild

Pat_3647, Did you ever get the issue resolved? I am having the same two codes with my cart, 51 and 72. Any help is much appreciated!
ebneruh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebneruh54 View Post
Pat_3647, Did you ever get the issue resolved? I am having the same two codes with my cart, 51 and 72. Any help is much appreciated!
Doubt you will get an answer from him. He was last on in 2018 and his post is also from 2018.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
ebneruh54
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, DaveTM. I know it is a long shot but I am exhausting hours on the phone and web trying to find an answer. Not giving up yet!
ebneruh54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:45 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

There have been post here that have, IIRC, shared wiring schematics and other solved problems with the BBB.

Just from what I've read about them they have a history of assorted problems that can cause the ordinary human to run screaming into the "abyss".

I'm sorry that I cannot help you as I do understand trying to find info about a product on the internet and after hours of searching come up with nothing.

Try not to run into the abyss.....you will eventually find some way to resolve the matter. And remember, pushing the BBB into a lake is a form of "resolution". Mebby not the best choice.....but a choice none the less.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts