lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
ocdfisher
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default What rear end?

I am changing the gear oil on my 99 carryall turf II. On your maint. sticky it references different transaxles.

Replace rear-end oil. Use a 14mm ratchet and socket to remove the lower drain plug of the transmission and differential on Upper/Lower Unit Kawasaki rear ends, only remove the lower one (6:00) on unitized transaxles. Upper/Lower Kawasaki Unit: fill top unit fill plug hole with a relatively light synthetic gear oil. Fill lower unit with 80W-90 gear oil. Unitized Kawasaki/Graziano: Fill top fill plug hole (9:00) with 80W-90 synthetic gear oil.
How do I know which style I have. I only see two plugs. One drain at the very bottom and one fill a few inches up and to the rear. I am probably making this more difficult than it is. What do you mean by relatively light gear oil? Any help would be appreciated.
ocdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What rear end?

SAE30 non detergent engine oil (as per service manual) or 80W-90 gear oil. Both will work.

Being a 99, i believe that its the newer style Unitized Kawasaki tranny, they changed in 97 from the 2 part graziano to the unitized 1 part kawasaki. ill get a picture of the new style, tell me if thats what yours looks like.

Remove both plugs, then fill from the bottom plug untill the oil comes out of the top plug, put the top plug in, then remove your fill tube(depending on how you are filling it), then quickly put your bottom plug in. You could fill from the top instead if you have a small enough fill tube to allow air to pass by; and just leave the bottom nut in.

Also if you have some, add some lucas oil stabilizer.(25%+) this will help get oil to the top gears, and works awesome, makes it shift really smooth.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

new style Kawasaki Tranny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6120271.jpg (78.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
ocdfisher
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. I got it changed.
ocdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterezgokid View Post
SAE30 non detergent engine oil (as per service manual) or 80W-90 gear oil. Both will work.
Could you double check that for me?

It's always been to my understanding that:

SAE30 should be used for CC electric transaxles...
and, 80W-90 gear oil should be used in CC gasser "unitized" transaxles...

However... the Graziano 2 part transaxle takes 30W up top, and 80W-90 on the bottom.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Could you double check that for me?

It's always been to my understanding that:

SAE30 should be used for CC electric transaxles...
and, 80W-90 gear oil should be used in CC gasser "unitized" transaxles...

However... the Graziano 2 part transaxle takes 30W up top, and 80W-90 on the bottom.

To tell you the truth, i believe that either oil would work great in any application. I just remember reading about SAE30, but i perfer to use the 80W90 gear syntetic blend myself with a bit of lucas.

SAE30 engine oil is the same as a SAE80 gear oil. For some reason oil manufacturers have different viscosity definitions for motor oil vs. gear oil. I dont know why they do things like that
I get monthly SAE International magazines; there was a small write up about a year ago i think, regarding ratings around motor oil and gear oil... the SAE they just like to make things confusing for everyone.
The main reason they rate them differently is because they see it that engine oil is heated where as a gear case oil is not (not significantly anyways).

Just dont get SAE30 mixed up with a 10w30 oil, they are competely different, and usualy the 10w30 has added detergents that can harm gear case seals. Thus the need for a detergent free SAE30.

We can then get into single and multi grade oils. but then thats just goin over the top. SAE80 is a single grade where as 80W90 is considered a multi grade. But are typpicaly the same oil. A multi grade will outperform a single grade oil in its set temperature range.. (multigrade has a lower low temp and a higer high temp operating range usualy)
and you pay more for a multigrade then a single grade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post

Why they say that, i have no clue. i dont have a manual here for the Graziano; ive never had to work on one yet. so i dont know what they were trying to say. where they trying to say 30wt gear oil up top or SAE30 non detergent engine oil?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Great post Monster
You get the information award today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnailCASQMKI5.jpg (5.0 KB, 77 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

LoL thanks scotty!.. yea its a long one..

Darn engineers make things soo complicated.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I enjoyed it ....."learn something everyday" is my motto
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I enjoyed it ....."learn something everyday" is my motto
You should get your hands on those SAE magazines. they have some pretty awesome stuff in it.. Its kinda like popular mechanics for engineers.

Last month or so they were talking about indivitudal wheel automotive AC traction drive system from like BOSE or some one like that (the entire drive motor was encased within the wheel housing where you would normaly have your brake system; all in one package. because the AC motor would regen and apply brake all in the same system.,.. All prototype stuff. but it was very good read.

They also a while back expained the entire concept behind mercedes Blutec diesel system and Toyotas new synergy hybrid drive system. If your into that kind of stuff.

They offer a good outlook of what we are going to see in the next 10 years in the auto industry. But they also have aerospace magazine, and structural engineering ones i believe as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car