lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
Trucker Den
Not Yet Wild

Default Changing key questions

Hi all. I am the proud owner of a 2020 onward. I want to change out the key for more security. Does the uncommon Switch that I see on various sites have different keys? Or are they the same keys on all of them? I also saw some posts of people using Harley Davidson switches. Does anyone have pics? I want a nice clean install. Thanks for your help.
Trucker Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Changing key questions

to BGW

I put a Harley barrel key switch in my DS. I did have to modify the dash panel a bit to get it to fit, but it turned out very nice. See pic below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.JPG (311.2 KB, 0 views)
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

They're different keys. Here is an answer from Tahoedave which answers your question better. Order one from him.
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpber View Post
Link to one that is truely Uncommon. as i have ordered a couple claiming to be uncommon and have found that other peoples keys work.
Quote:
Yeah I see your point. While it's never truly "uncommon", Club Car actually offers 12 different ones. The problem is that the online vendors typically only order 1 of them. The key code can be viewed on the key. It'll be a number and a letter. Possible combinations range from 1A - 2F. If you order it from eBay or Amazon you'll probably get the same one every time. When I order uncommon switches from Club Car for our inventory, I typically like to keep one of each on hand. No it's not truly "uncommon", but the chances of someone having the correct key is a whole lot less likely than that of a regular Club Car key. In the reality of it all, if someone wants to steal your cart, all they have to do is reach behind the dash and pull the wires off of the key switch and hook them together. You're never gonna stop a thief with a key switch of any kind on an electric golf cart.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:46 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here's something you may like to consider (thanks to wuntunearlybko for the idea).

It is a remote switch which you can hide inside the dash. I have one which I am going to fit soon and I'll fit a small LED where the keyswitch currently is. However you could just as easily leave the keyswitch there and it would be even more confusing to a thief because the key wouldn't do anything at all, no matter what key they had. If you did that just leave off the LED or put the LED somewhere else. I think it's a good idea to have the LED because you then have a visual indicator as to whether the cart is on or off. wuntunearlybko hooked his voltmeter to it instead of the LED so when the cart was off the voltmeter had no reading and that gave the visual indication.

The unit is very well made with good quality remotes. See it at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I show in my diagram "from Hot side of switch" that means that you disconnect the wire from the key switch and connect it here instead. The same on the cold side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (69.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring.jpg (44.0 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

This link works...

https://www.amazon.com/YETOR-Anti-Th...0919522&sr=8-1
movin-on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #6
Trucker Den
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
to BGW

I put a Harley barrel key switch in my DS. I did have to modify the dash panel a bit to get it to fit, but it turned out very nice. See pic below...
Thank you that looks great!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #7
Trucker Den
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Thank you. That is definitely something to consider.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
to BGW

\

That is one nice installation.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
That is one nice installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker Den View Post
Thank you that looks great!

Thank you guys, I was very happy with how it turned out.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #10
19thHole
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
to BGW

I've been keen on one of these Harley switches but have only seen them on gas carts. How will it handle a 48v cart? Any special wiring tricks we need to know or is it just a simple swap out?
Neat install too.
19thHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car