lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #21
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Why do speed sensors go bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The speed sensor only has a single chip that costs less than $2 inside, no other parts. .... .
Is the chip in the digikey link the actual chip used in the speed sensor?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is compatible with the specifications for the part, I think some folks in this site have actually "dremeled" the old one out and soldered one of those to fix the speed sensor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #23
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
.... I think some folks in this site have actually "dremeled" the old one out and soldered one of those to fix the speed sensor.
How hot does it get on the end of the motor?
I need to find a couple of dead sensors to play with to see if a two piece glue together case can be 3D printed.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure how hot it gets, but it is the hot end of the motor since the commutator is located on that end.

I never considered trying to print a new enclosure instead of just using the one being repaired.

Let us know how it works if you try.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #25
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A factory motor spins about 4,000 rpm and the sensor counts 8 pulses for every single one of those revolutions.
It’s basically a couple of transistors which are essentially electrical switches. On - off as the magnetic field passes by. So at speed the sensor counts approximately 32,000 pulses in one minute of normal operation. Eventually that $0.30 transistor is going to give up the ghost after counting a couple billion pulses over the course of several years. ....
If I understand this correctly, the OEM GE motor magnet was 8-pole.
A "speed" magnet with 4-poles will fool a Curtis controller and let the motor go faster.
The Bandit upgrade came with a 4-pole magnet, thus the few mph speed improvement I have seen.
Installed an Alltrax XCT 48400 and in the Toolkit there is a selection for a 4 or 8 pole speed sensor magnet, no need/can't "fool" this controller.
With a 4-pole magnet that would cut the number of pulses the sensor sees in half.
Seems like I would want to stay with the 4-pole magnet if it ever needs replacing to extend the life of the sensor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car