lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium Battery Balancer

I have 4 12v Allied Lithium batteries in my 2013 Precedent. They have been a PITA. The battery dealer sent me a battery balancer to alleviate the problem of the batteries not equally discharging.
There are no wiring instructions about where to start and step by step. I tried connecting it, but it was arcing and I had to stop. Can someone tell me the order I should be connecting the wires to the batteries?
The user guide is not helpful. The balancer has 4 red wires, one for each battery and one black wire for battery number one.
Let me know if there is an order that I need to go in while installing this balancer.
Thanks?
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Battery Balancer

Is this what they sent You (click on picture for larger view)?

Black goes to pack negative.

Each red wire goes to a positive battery post starting with the first battery positive post (where the pack negative connection is placed).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Sergio!
The dealer told me battery number 1 is the one with the hot/red feed.
That is the same balancer I have. I appreciate your help! But I can't recommend these batteries! Bought them as "drop in" and maintenance free. When in reality, over the past year I have spent way too much time troubleshooting and working on them.
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
MnGolfer
Not Yet Wild

Curious about the problems you've had. Been thinking about switching to the Lithium Battery but am having doubts due to your comments.
MnGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:20 PM   #5
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have these same batteries, got the balancer like they said, didn't help much. The batteries started having issues after about 3- 3 1/2 years. Just got a hold of them about warranty. They will give me about $1000 against 4 48v 30ah batteries. So about $2400 trade for new. Not sure if I should do this. They recommend the 4 because I have rear seat. For that kind of money, I am looking at other options. Including gas cart.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:23 PM   #6
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

You have four 12v batteries? You can get a charger that will charge each individually to alleviate the balancing issue. NOCO makes one.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:13 PM   #7
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonGolf View Post
I have these same batteries, got the balancer like they said, didn't help much. The batteries started having issues after about 3- 3 1/2 years. Just got a hold of them about warranty. They will give me about $1000 against 4 48v 30ah batteries. So about $2400 trade for new. Not sure if I should do this. They recommend the 4 because I have rear seat. For that kind of money, I am looking at other options. Including gas cart.
Do you have four 12v or four of the 48v 30ah version? allied no longer recommends the 12v version as they have issues like the balance problem. they still sell them though I guess mainly as replacements if one fails.

If you have the 12v version have you balanced them yet by charging them all with a 12v lithium charger while wired in parallel? If not this may be all you need to do to get your range back without issues like shutdowns. you can also just connect a 12v lithium charger to each battery while leaving them right in the cart and charge them all one at a time if thats easier. If this works it would be good practice to do it at least once every season.

Otherwise one battery will be charged far more than the rest over time causing the run time to be shorter and shorter until eventually they will be so out of balance that one battery will be almost dead even right after charging and the time the charger actually charges before turning off would seem shorter and shorter leading up to this.

What kind or range do you need between charges?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:48 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Gas cart

Give Eco Battery (Site Sponsor) a call and see what they can do. Solid company, solid battery (just one-not 4 hooked together) and pretty sure you'd be happy.

https://www.ecobattery.com/s/ or 877-326-2288
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:42 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
I have 3 of the 48v 30aH batteries. With a rear seat also (and always full). I get ~50 miles on a charge and it works just fine. I’ve had my setup for almost 3 years completely problem free. No complaints and no regrets.

I think you’d be fine with 3 instead of 4.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 05:25 PM   #10
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So when you say charge them seprately with a 12v lithium charger, should I unhook them all? Where would I get a charge? Will any 12v lithium charger work? I agree with your assement that one battery may be way off. 10-12 miles is not far. I would l Ike to get back to over 30 when I first got them.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, balancer, connecting, lithium, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car