lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Upgrade Install Complete But Negative Battery Spark

Installed new FSIP motor, Alltrax controller, HD solenoid and 2g cables on my 2009 CC Precedent IQ , 48 volts with TPS upgrade. Also, installed a new Run/Tow switch because one of the connections on the old switch was loose.
Have triple checked all the cables and wiring. Both diodes on solenoid are facing the correct direction.
The only thing I did differently was to cut the two small wires from the old OBC, and put on ring terminals. This gives me three connections on B- at the controller - the two wires I cut plus the 2 g cable to the battery Negative.
Photo is attached of what I cut.
Installed new batteries and hooked cables correctly with FUSE connected on battery main POSITIVE (battery #1). When I attempted to connect the pack Negative (battery #6) I got a spark. Just a spark but enough to make me jump and worry that something is wrong. Cart WAS in TOW mode.
I read all threads about this problem including Sergio's suggestion of using a light bulb. I want to be sure that what I have read is still the current recommendation(s).
No cables to the motor were touching the case or each other.
I used a torque wrench and torqued all cable connections per the manual.

Is this spark caused by the new diodes on the solenoid needing an initial charge? Should I use the light bulb trick? Should I just sit down and cry, again? (remember, I'm female)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old OBC wires.jpg (159.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Panel Wiring.jpg (181.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Panel Installed.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade Install Complete But Negative Battery Spark

The Regen diode is backwards.

The side with the "Stripe" should be on the big post where the pack positive battery cable is connected.

If You also have a voltage reducer connected to the pack positive battery cable then use the light bulb trick to pre-charge the capacitors inside the voltage reducer.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
.... Both diodes on solenoid are facing the correct direction. ....
In pic #2 is the black cable with the red tape from B+ ?
If so, then that large post is the + side and the diode stripe should be facing that direction.
It looks like it is reversed.
The small posts do not have to match the polarity of the large posts, but the + side will be the side the Key switch (pink on a 2002 DS) line is on.
Can you get a different angle pic of the solenoid wiring?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Regen diode is backwards.

The side with the "Stripe" should be on the big post where the pack positive battery cable is connected.

If You also have a voltage reducer connected to the pack positive battery cable then use the light bulb trick to pre-charge the capacitors inside the voltage reducer.
I never would have caught that. My brain was convinced that the diode faced the positive side of the solenoid, not the positive battery cable. I cannot thank you enough!!
I'm going to make another donation to this site. Invaluable info and all of you share so willingly. Again, many thanks!
Old 08-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
In pic #2 is the black cable with the red tape from B+ ?
If so, then that large post is the + side and the diode stripe should be facing that direction.
It looks like it is reversed.
The small posts do not have to match the polarity of the large posts, but the + side will be the side the Key switch (pink on a 2002 DS) line is on.
Can you get a different angle pic of the solenoid wiring?
Yes, cable with red tape is to battery positive.
Yes, it was reversed, I admit it. Even with your previous instructions in hand I managed to get it wrong. I never would have caught it. Is diode reversal a early sign of Alzheimer's?? :)

Unless I am mistaken, again, the key switch is the light blue wire. The other wire is blue/white stripe.
I will wait to hear from you before putting control panel back in place. I'm getting tired of taking it in and out. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid2.jpg (90.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
.... Is diode reversal a .....
the key switch is the light blue wire. The other wire is blue/white stripe. ....
"Is diode reversal a" common thing? Yes.
There are a number of threads where it happens.
Yes, the Key switch is the Light Blue +48v.
The Key switch gets the +48v from the Tow/Run switch and sends it to the solenoid on the Light Blue.
The Blue/White stripe wire goes to the controller where it will be grounded to complete the solenoid coil circuit.
Completing the circuit creates the magnetic field to pull in the main contacts.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only other suggestion is when you fix the Regen Diode orientation to also adjust the pack positive cable lug on the Solenoid big post so it comes more off the side like the controller cable.

That cable lug appears pretty pretty close to the solenoid small post that has the blue/white negative activation wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The only other suggestion is when you fix the Regen Diode orientation to also adjust the pack positive cable lug on the Solenoid big post so it comes more off the side like the controller cable.

That cable lug appears pretty pretty close to the solenoid small post that has the blue/white negative activation wire.
Will definitely do that! Having your expert eyes on things makes me feel much better. Eternally grateful.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Corrected by diode mishap and moved the solenoid cable as Sergio advised. Reinstalled the batteries and had NO spark issue on negative of batter #6.
I'm posting this in the hopes of helping others.

My cart upgrade is now complete. The difference in speed is amazinggggg. I am thrilled. Still need to put the back seat on and give him a good bath. Thank you to R&TBabich, Sergio, FairTax4Me, ScottyB, David Hicks and all the others who helped with this project. I could never have done this without yall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fred Finished.jpg (296.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fred looks great; congrats!!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car