lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
engine95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1985 DS speed control (pot box) conversion?

Hi all.
I'm new to the forum due to my cart being flooded. I've lost all of my electrical connections due to rust, so I'm going to rebuild it this winter.
I've done a lot of reading all over and will be doing a conversion kit for it. They seem to have all the parts I need-except one!

The speed control (pot box?) So this cart is prior to the VGlides and has the silver box with red caps on both ends. I can find some replacements for it, but I'm wondering if I should use something else. It'll be 36 volts IF I can save the batteries, going to a 48 volt system when they die.

I've searched on here as well as other forums for this topic. But I can't find any info on pre 1990ish speed controls/conversions. Hence, this post.

Should, or can I convert to a VGlide?
I've seen the PREmcore conversions but the years are 1995 and later carts. Would this work for mine?
cartsunlimited has a pedal assembly but can only be sold with a prior conversion kit. This seems to be the best option watching scottyb's video. The problem is there are no conversion kits available.

I've restored a lot of vehicles, and my skills are pretty good working/fixing things.
This is my first golf cart and sounds like as much, if not more fun. And a lot cheaper.

TIA for your thoughts and help.
engine95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1985 DS speed control (pot box) conversion?

By conversion I assume you mean solid state controller. That box with micro switches will not work. You will need a V Glde, MCOR, or other throttle for the conversion.

Look in the "Sitckys" wiring diagrams here and get familiar with how these are assembled. I suggest looking at the system for 93-94 carts first. They are the simplest ones.

to BGW!

Edit: The first diagram in the Diagrams section is labeled: "89-03" As far as I know this system was only used in 93 and 94 and a few 1992.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

If your going to upgrade don't go with a vglide.

Call Dave at Revolution Golf Cars and ask if a Pre MCOR conversion kit will work; he's a Club Car guru.

If all else fails you could use a Curtis PB6 Potentiometer. That's what I've been using for the last few years and it's been working great. They're relatively cheap too.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
engine95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
By conversion I assume you mean solid state controller. That box with micro switches will not work. You will need a V Glde, MCOR, or other throttle for the conversion.

Look in the "Sitckys" wiring diagrams here and get familiar with how these are assembled. I suggest looking at the system for 93-94 carts first. They are the simplest ones.

to BGW!

Edit: The first diagram in the Diagrams section is labeled: "89-03" As far as I know this system was only used in 93 and 94 and a few 1992.
Thank you, and yes, solid state setup. It wouldn't be cost effective to save any of my old electronics. Most all the wired connections just fell off from the rust. The motor I haven't gotten too yet. So basically I doing a frame up build. I have it down to the frame now.

I've looked at the wirings on a few of these and really, it doesn't seem that bad.
So you're suggesting I go with a Vglide? If I remember right these are in the same area as my speed box. So it shouldn't be too bad. I haven't looked at the linkage setup on the Go pedal yet, but think I might need anything for it?
Thanks for giving me a direction to go in.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
engine95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If your going to upgrade don't go with a vglide.

Call Dave at Revolution Golf Cars and ask if a Pre MCOR conversion kit will work; he's a Club Car guru.

If all else fails you could use a Curtis PB6 Potentiometer. That's what I've been using for the last few years and it's been working great. They're relatively cheap too.
All right. You have my interest now. I like the idea of the potentiometer. I've read some problems with the VGlide and the Mcore's.
I just looked at it and its wiring. It seems less prone to break down than my other options. I think this is what I would like to go with. I haven' t looked yet, but I'm guessing I could find info's on this conversion? Would this work on 36V now, 48v later?
Thanks for another option.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

"Solid State Conversion kits
Version 2 kits feature an electronic pedal
fits all years Club Car"

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine95 View Post
Thank you, and yes, solid state setup. It wouldn't be cost effective to save any of my old electronics. Most all the wired connections just fell off from the rust. The motor I haven't gotten too yet. So basically I doing a frame up build. I have it down to the frame now.

I've looked at the wirings on a few of these and really, it doesn't seem that bad.
So you're suggesting I go with a Vglide? If I remember right these are in the same area as my speed box. So it shouldn't be too bad. I haven't looked at the linkage setup on the Go pedal yet, but think I might need anything for it?
Thanks for giving me a direction to go in.
My suggestion was to get you familiar with the systems. NCPW has you on the right track. Go from there.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
engine95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
"Solid State Conversion kits
Version 2 kits feature an electronic pedal
fits all years Club Car"

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/conversion-kits.html
Yeah, I saw that and also said they were out of stock. Been that way for a couple weeks. I'm just looking for other options so I can get moving on this. The throttle is the only thing holding me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
My suggestion was to get you familiar with the systems. NCPW has you on the right track. Go from there.
I realize that and thank you. I've been looking at wirings and options for a week. I thought what I had in my op were my only options. Now I have another one.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an '86 and am doing exactly what you are (I am just a couple months ahead of you). My sage advice from both of the months that I have had my cart: Call one of the vendors (like Dave at Revolution) and ask questions, all the time thinking ahead. I made the mistake of ordering a whole bunch of stuff without asking (or thinking!) and ended up with a bunch of stuff that I did not need or was wrong. Try not to go down that path-it is really frustrating!

Take your time and have fun; welcome to the page!

PS What part of Utah are you in? Hoping to move to your beautiful state very soon (Hurricane area).
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
engine95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I have an '86 and am doing exactly what you are (I am just a couple months ahead of you). My sage advice from both of the months that I have had my cart: Call one of the vendors (like Dave at Revolution) and ask questions, all the time thinking ahead. I made the mistake of ordering a whole bunch of stuff without asking (or thinking!) and ended up with a bunch of stuff that I did not need or was wrong. Try not to go down that path-it is really frustrating!

Take your time and have fun; welcome to the page!

PS What part of Utah are you in? Hoping to move to your beautiful state very soon (Hurricane area).
Thank you. I tend to over analyze my projects, but have learned to sit on the knowledge for a couple days and let it soak in. Then I make more rational decisions. I may be just a little OCD sometimes, too

I live in the Salt Lake area. The carts home is in the mountains along the Strawberry river. It's not a bad state. We have every climate you can imagine. From deserts to high mountains. Even an inland ocean, but its not nearly a nice as the ocean you live by. Hurricane is a nice area too. The redrock in that area is amazing. We thought of retiring there, but I can't get the wife to leave the grandkids. Even though its only a few hours away.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car