lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
harleyt98
Not Yet Wild

Default Best setup for 23 inch tires for speed

Ill be getting a Precedent before long. Already picked out my tires and lift kit. 23 inch all season tires with 6 inch A-arm lift and POSSIBLY/PROBABLY a 8:1 gear upgrade. I want speeds of at LEAST 30-35 mph. I was going to get the Executioner motor from Plum Quick, however I emailed them and asked if it would perform and hold up well and I was told that having those size tires with a gear upgrade could ruin the motor and/or controller.

So I decided to get a second opinion and see what the best setup would be to attain the speed goal I'm looking for. Also, I want a reasonable amount of torque to accelerate quickly and haul passengers...it'll be a 4 passenger cart.

Cart will likely be a 2012 or newer Precedent 48V.
harleyt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best setup for 23 inch tires for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyt98 View Post
Ill be getting a Precedent before long. Already picked out my tires and lift kit. 23 inch all season tires with 6 inch A-arm lift and POSSIBLY/PROBABLY a 8:1 gear upgrade. I want speeds of at LEAST 30-35 mph. I was going to get the Executioner motor from Plum Quick, however I emailed them and asked if it would perform and hold up well and I was told that having those size tires with a gear upgrade could ruin the motor and/or controller.

So I decided to get a second opinion and see what the best setup would be to attain the speed goal I'm looking for. Also, I want a reasonable amount of torque to accelerate quickly and haul passengers...it'll be a 4 passenger cart.

Cart will likely be a 2012 or newer Precedent 48V.
If you want 30+ top end speeds, I think 8:1 gears with 23" tires will be pretty tough on all the electrical components (including the wires), esp. with a full load, and really tough if you you are off-road frequently and / or have hills.

Maybe you don't need the 8:1 gears?

That said, I have a 4-passenger Onward with 23" tires, stock gears (around 12.5:1) but use a Navitas AC motor and their Tac2 controller, along with a 51v lithium battery and paved flat road top speed just hits 38 with 1 person, no adverse conditions. 33-35 with multiple adverse conditions (loaded down, windshield up, slight incline, battery below 50%, cold weather etc...)

Acceleration I'd say is as quick as I need, probably at least on par with a tweaked RXV with 20" tires or thereabouts, but of course RXV runs out of that nice low / midrange power they seem to have at about 18 MPH in my experience and start to flatten out. Mine is quick 0-30 or so and 30 to 38 range is significantly less quick, but pulls steadily.

IMHO, if you want 30+ mph top end then I really think 8:1 gears and 23" tires will be pretty much a dog in the acceleration department with only 48v - esp. lead acid, but there are others with more experience who could give you better insight I'm sure. Good Luck!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I recommend a Harley VTwin swap.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
greg-g
Gone Wild

Just install the Navitas AC motor and controller and you will be in that speed range no need for the gear change
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
harleyt98
Not Yet Wild

I considered the AC kit, but its pretty expensive. But if you combine all the costs of the motor, controller, and gears I was considering...it wouldn't be too much more to do AC. Does anyone know what the RPM of the Navitas AC 5kw motor is?
harleyt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
mattkovo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyt98 View Post
I considered the AC kit, but its pretty expensive. But if you combine all the costs of the motor, controller, and gears I was considering...it wouldn't be too much more to do AC. Does anyone know what the RPM of the Navitas AC 5kw motor is?

I’m pretty sure it is 9,000 rpm. I have a 6 seater precedent with the ac motor and can do 32-33 mph all day with fla batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the motor data from Navitas for the 4 and 5 kw motors. Ignore the 19 spine on the one picture misprint should be 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, precedent, speed, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car