lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Wheel Stud Replacement

The lug nuts came off, my bad, and messed up the threads on the studs. Unfortunately, it happened with my wife driving and broke down quite far from the house. I got some new nuts and tried to pull the wheel tight enough to hold the wheel on to drive it home. In that process I stripped the Stud knurling and the hole in the axle hub. I read all of the old posts on this and was able to get the nuts off and removed the studs. The holes in the hub are not wallered (GA spelling) out, but the measure 0.51" and the one that I didn't strip measures 0.50". I have been looking for a replacement stud with slightly larger diameter knurling. The CC dealer said to pull the axle and they will weld the new studs in. I really don't want to go that route if I don't have to. It has its own side effects. So, anyone know specifically where I can get these studs. I've tried the auto parts stores and besides most not knowing what I was looking for, I actually went back into their stock and couldn't locate them. I've contacted the Cub Cadet dealer, but they seem perplexed as well. Anyone have a part number or a specific place to go to? The CC dealer near me only wants to weld them in, so I have to assume that they don't have the oversized studs. I'm open! Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hub.Good Hole.JPG (78.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Hub.Stripped Hole.jpg (84.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel Stud.Stripped.jpg (92.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Axle Hub.jpg (93.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Hub.jpg (104.5 KB, 0 views)
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Wheel Stud Replacement

I don't know what I did wrong, but this should have been in the Club Car - Electric forum, not the EZ Go. Can I change it or does it matter?
Old 10-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Joe....it truly doesn't matter, a drum is a drum AND a hub is a hub....but you can get one of the mods to muve it if you want..

BUT here is an EASY solution....done this before! DON'T LET ANYONE WELD IN THE REPLACMENT! that's really asking for trouble. but what you can do is get a new set of studs.....take them to your local auto machine shop....take them both the hub and the drum.....have them take the hub and index it 90 deg. and drill a new set of holes and press in the new studs, PIECE OF CAKE!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Wow, Sir Nuke! I hadn't thought of that, and I totally agree about the welding issue. That's why I was hoping that someone that suggested the Cub Cadet studs or another one knew where I could get some. I still have to pull that axle, which doesn't sound that hard, but it never does. Just like removing the motor. It took a week of brutal pounding with a sledge, a can of PB Blaster and a torch to get it off. It's 26 years old and God knows how stuck those bearings are. I've heard horror stories about those as well. Good suggestion. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
rib33024

Moved to Club Car forum. You don't have to pull the axle to replace the studs.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, RIB, but I do know that I don't, except that three of the axle flange holes were slightly stripped out when the studs stripped. I may need a better caliper, but I measured the one hole that didn't strip out at 0.50" and the the three that had stripped studs measured 0.51". I know that's not much, but I'm afraid that if I do put a new OEM stud in and I tighten the rim down, if it doesn't hold, I'm back to cutting the studs off, though since the new stud will have clean threads and new nuts, maybe its worth trying. I just had read on these forums where some had procured some oversized studs to fit tightly like the originals. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

My Dorman studs have 0.53+ splines on them. Found my order receipt:
RNB-610-138
Wheel Studs, Press-In, 1/2-20 in. RH, 0.535 in. Knurl, 1.531 in. Length, GM, Checker, Set of 10
(Mfr. #: 610-138 )
ACCLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Wow, Thanks ACC! That's great. I'm gonna look for them now.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

ACC, now that I got t he Mfg p/n if found them at NAPA. Picked them up today, and now to install them. I plan to pull them through with a nut and spacer. I don't have an impact wrench so I hope I can do it manually. I was at Harbor Freight today and al most bought an electric impact wrench for $40. I may wind up needing it! Any advice out there about installing the studs?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

w/o a impact wrench how did you strip them out?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, wheel stud
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car