lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Medium Duty Leaf Springs vs. Stock

Hi Folks,

New backseat got delivered so I'm installing new springs to help with the extra weight. I ordered the medium duty springs from Cartparts Plus. I got the first spring off (didn't even have to cut the front bolt) and now that I'm comparing the "old" springs to the new MD's it appears as though the old springs are actually stiffer?! When I step on both the new MD springs flex much more under my weight. Both appear to be about the same thickness metal.

The cart is an 86 CC DS and when I bought it from a guy who refurbs and flips carts he had replaced a lot of aging factory parts already. I'm thinking maybe the springs on there were already heavier duty?

I'm hoping someone with a keen eye can weigh in, as I would hate to replace the springs when it's not necessary. I didn't mind the ride with the old springs so if they are in fact heavier duty then I would keep them.

The springs in the foreground (without bushings) are the new, MD ones.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1741.jpg (242.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1742.jpg (247.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1743.jpg (200.7 KB, 0 views)
cb0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Medium Duty Leaf Springs vs. Stock

It's hard to tell from a photo but it does appear the originals would have more lift to them when unloaded based on the pics. If I ever go to the trouble of changing my springs I'd likely go with the two leaf springs that are supposed to be 'progressive' in how they handle loads.

Others have gone full out HD springs, but I hear that some regret it due to the harsh ride.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The only springs I would install are the "dual action". Standard rate spring with a helper leaf that only come into play if their is enough weight on the back to make it squat. Tht way you have the heavier weight carrying ability when you need it, but don't destroy the ride quality when lightly loaded. It looks like what the cart had were the stock, single leaf springs - but someone may have "recurved" them to extend their life.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. I went back and forth between ordering MD springs or the Dual action. Looks like I chose poorly.

Based on how much the new springs flex, I’m leaning toward replacing the bushings and putting the old springs back on. Once the seat is installed I will be able to tell if there is sufficient support when loaded. That’s what I get for trying to be proactive and installing the springs before the seat!

On a related note, I’ve got a brand new pair of MD springs for sale if anyone is interested!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With my last cart, a 2001 DS, when I added a rear seat I kept the stock rear leaf springs and just made 1” longer shackles. I still had the stock ride comfort and enough clearance that I had no tire rub with rear passengers. I also had 20” tires but still had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
cb0w
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So, I got the seat on yesterday. With no passengers (or 2 kids) on the back, the height is perfect with no rub. Once You throw an adult on there, there is some slight rubbing.

SouthCo, that's exactly my plan. It just so happens that I had longer shackles fabbed to deal with rubbing when I put on the 14" wheels. I drilled two holes to give me two height options on the shackles. Up till now, I've been riding on the lower hole, but I think once I switch to the higher hole it will provide just enough lift to alleviate the rubbing with the seat. Thanks again for the responses.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car