lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
DMallard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2006 Precedent Speed Sensor Magnet

I've been lurking here for a little over a year and can't begin to thank you all for all I've learned from other's experiences!

I've got a 2006 Precedent (Serial #PQ0604xxxxxx) with a purple ADC Motor. Car went into slow speed - limp mode and from the great Speed Sensor Test sticky, we figured it to need a new speed sensor. Cart has always been able to cruise at 19.5 mph but had a very hard braking when getting over that speed, which I assumed to be the roll-away or engine braking.

New Speed Sensor arrives and includes a nice round magnet. On taking off the old speed sensor, we note that the old magnet is oblong, has one lobe somewhat like an egg. I go ahead and replace it with the new round magnet. Now the cart runs fine but won't exceed 14.5 mph and suddenly I'm experiencing what I think to be "regen braking" where on releasing the go pedal you feel the engine slowing the cart down. We've never noticed that before, and it's not near as dramatic as the hard braking we used to have.

I've always been of the assumption we had Speed Code 4 programmed into the controller because of the 19.5 max speed, but now I'm wondering if the oblong magnet I removed was actually a "high speed magnet"?

Can anybody think of any problem with going back to the original oblong magnet with the new speed sensor?

My thanks in advance!

Cheers,
DMM
DMallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 Precedent Speed Sensor Magnet

Do you have a sticker on the cart somewhere with Code A, B, and C? That would be your Speed Code 4 sticker. Sounds like you replaced a high speed magnet with a regular magnet. Try switching them back and see if the speed comes back
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to put the old "hacked" magnet back in place.

The PQ bandit motor gets passed the speed code 3 limitation by using a "4 pole" magnet.

Normally You would just buy a "4 pole" magnet, but apparently they put the regular "8 pole" magnet on a bench grinder and remove the other poles from the stock magnet.

So, either buy a 4 pole magnet, or install the old modified magnet back.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
DMallard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Didn't see a sticker with the Code A, B, C under the seat around the batteries or in the dash with the serial number sticker - but not sure where else to look.

We reinstalled the original oblong magnet and tested. Now getting a steady 16.2 on flat street and was able to push it up to 19.5 and 20 mph with a slight down hill. Did not experience the hard braking we had before the new sensor.

I had ordered a new "high speed magnet" with the new speed sensor but it hasn't arrived. Now thinking maybe it won't do any good.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
DMM
Old 01-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMallard View Post
Didn't see a sticker with the Code A, B, C under the seat around the batteries or in the dash with the serial number sticker - but not sure where else to look.
Sounds like you didn't have SC4 and got the speed from the magnet
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Also it sounds like you're not running at advertised speeds with a PQ motor they say it should be doing 25 so you still have problems
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
DMallard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Also it sounds like you're not running at advertised speeds with a PQ motor they say it should be doing 25 so you still have problems
Just to eliminate confusion in the thread, it's not a PQ motor. Original ADC motor that takes the bolt on speed sensor, as opposed to the snap on sensors.

Cheers,
DMM
Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I've got a 2006 Precedent (Serial #PQ0604xxxxxx) with a purple ADC Motor.
ADC never made a purple motor....hence the confusion.

If someone tried to imitate what PQ does with the stock magnet, but they did not correctly removed the poles, that would explain the harsh speed reduction.

If only 1/4 of the magnet was eliminated, the top speed would have been 19.3mph, after that Regen would kick in to prevent further speed increase.

If You already have a 4 pole (aka: speed) magnet coming, just install it when You get it and You will be fine.

Edit: You can physically remove more than 1/4 of the magnet material but not remove the effect of the magnet poles themselves.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-09-2015 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
DMallard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio, thanks for that. I''m learning all the time. When I started investigating the whole speed sensor problem, I studied the parts manual and couldn't figure out why my sensor didn't snap in like the one in the diagram. Then I noticed they had three different motors in the manual and the ADC one had the bolt on sensor.

I thought everything was pretty stock on this cart but now you've got me real curious. So far, the plain Precedent has been just fine for our needs - scooting around the small town - so I've ignored most of the posts about modifications.

I'll go ahead and install the high speed magnet when it arrives and see what happens.

Cheers,
DMM
Old 01-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
greg-g
Gone Wild

just to add to the confusion there are no stock purple motors
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 precedent, magnet, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car