lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
6.5swee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO 94 Medalist Upgrade

Hi I am new to this forum. I recently acquired a 94 Medalist TXT golf cart electric. Serial #832379. It was dead and didn't run. After a few minor repairs and new batteries it was up and running. I put a 6" lift and 10 X 22 AT tires. It will be used as a hunting cart. It was slow going up hills but ran OK other wise.

After the lift and tires i was going up hill and it quit. Upon inspection, i had a bad battery cable worn and frayed. It fried the solenoid and controller. If you shake the controller pieces are flopping around inside.

While talking to my dealer they do not recommend a stock controller or solenoid. They say i need a high output because of the tire size. Also maybe cable upgrade to 4". After talking to online parts dealers, they say the upgrades could fry the motor eventually and recommend a complete upgrade of all components with a price of 1300.00.

I don't want to spend that kind of money. What do you guys recommend?
This is a bone stock cart other than tire size and lift kit.

All comments appreciated, as this is my first cart, i am at a loss of what to do.
6.5swee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
dennis1340
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 94 Medalist Upgrade Help

I have a '94 EZGO Marathon with 22" tires and a 4" lift. I upgraded to 2 gauge cables, because I already had the cable laying around, and haven't had any trouble at all with my stock controller or solenoid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
dennis1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
6.5swee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you upgrade ALL cables from battery to controller and motor? Or just battery cables only?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The stock controller is meant for 18" tires on a golf course. There are hundreds of members here running bigger tires & speed controllers, Wait for some more opinions.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The stock motor is fine for most applications, provides adequate power, and isn't a problem with some upgrades. I would start with a upgraded controller (400 amp or 500a, no bigger than 500a for stock motor), upgraded solenoid (stock one is barely adequate for golfing, and probably the weakest piece of the stock system), and 4 gauge or 2 gauge cables to replace every 6 gauge cable on the cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
6.5swee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks for the info
Old 07-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
6.5swee
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I upgrades the controller with a Curtis 400 Amp and a bigger solenoid. Cart runs fine, thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Soonercntry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swee View Post
I upgrades the controller with a Curtis 400 Amp and a bigger solenoid. Cart runs fine, thanks for the info.
What did that set you back?
Soonercntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO