lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
halboy
Not Yet Wild

Default State of charge gauge wiring

I just received the analog state of charge meter that i ordered, the instructions say to hook up wire from leading battery + on the + terminal of meter and the -to the last battery in the pack on the - terminal, my question is can i pick up the wiring in the dash panel, how about the out side of ignition switch? and ground? , or do i have to go to the battery pack for hook up. THANKS!
halboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: State of charge gauge wiring

I would follow the instructions that came with the meter to get true pack readings . . . and do NOT ground to the frame . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
halboy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
I would follow the instructions that came with the meter to get true pack readings . . . and do NOT ground to the frame . . .
But if you do not go through the ignition switch wont the meter be on all the time?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by halboy View Post
But if you do not go through the ignition switch wont the meter be on all the time?
Does your vehicle have a RUN/TOW switch? If it does, meter should be off when parked and in the TOW mode . . . if not, then you should be able to pick up the + from "cold" side of ignition switch, but reading may be slightly lower than actual pack reading due to resistance in wire . . . some have noticed as much as 1 volt difference, where others have experienced a minor .1 to .5 volt difference between dash meter and actual pack reading . . .

edit: just reread your original post . . analog meter . . the difference between actual voltage probably would not be noticeable as on a digital meter that most are installing these days . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You didn't say what yr/model cart you were asking about?

Yes, you can connect to the ignition switch for one of the meter wires but the other one will likely have to be gotten from the battery pack main. This will require a small 16g wire run under the cart & up into the battery bay.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
halboy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You didn't say what yr/model cart you were asking about?

Yes, you can connect to the ignition switch for one of the meter wires but the other one will likely have to be gotten from the battery pack main. This will require a small 16g wire run under the cart & up into the battery bay.

thanks guys! I will follow your advise, connect the pos. lead to ign. switch and grnd. wire to bty. pack, that way I will not have to deal with tow switch every time i use the cart, I guess I forgot to include that I am working with a 2007 precident. THANKS AGAIN!! for your help
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
creepingtom
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i just bypass switch and hook pos. to first batt. and neg. to last batt. No problems. 16ga. or 14 ga. stays on all the time
creepingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
halboy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingtom View Post
i just bypass switch and hook pos. to first batt. and neg. to last batt. No problems. 16ga. or 14 ga. stays on all the time
Thanks for the feedback, that is what the instructions said that came with the meter.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's why it is so important to let people who try to answer these questions what cart you are working on.
In a Precedent there is a hook up under the dash for a battery meter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
halboy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That's why it is so important to let people who try to answer these questions what cart you are working on.
In a Precedent there is a hook up under the dash for a battery meter.
I saw 2 wires that was not connected to anything under the dash, i will check volts at these wires, thanks for the tip.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car