lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
smitj02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Installed Battery Meter and now '86 Marathon won't go

I finally got around to installing the excellent Battery Meter I bought from ScottyB this spring. It looks great, gives me a reading of 38.9-38.7 from the pack when the key switch is on, but now the golf cart doesn't move when I press the pedal. I've tried removing the meter wires from the various locations but it still won't go. To add to my frustration I can't find my *!$#ing multimeter right now so I figured I would post this while I went to either buy one from Rat Shack or borrow one from a neighbor. I can post some pics if people tell me what they would like to see. You'll just have to be gentle, my cart looks like #*!@ compared to most of them I see on here.

TIA,

smitj02
smitj02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Installed Battery Meter and now '86 Marathon won't go

A piece of good advice...call Scottyb and he will walk you through it since it was purchased through him...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
smitj02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I have put in a call to Scotty but I really don't think the problem is with the meter, just that my installing it has loosened some wire or exposed some other issue. I'm sure that if Scotty and I can spend some time on the phone together we can diagnose it but it anyone has any guesses or tests I could run to isolate things in the mean time that would be great.ear

FYI: I don't think it the solenoid itself because I replaced that last year but the solenoid appears to not be clicking. I read another post by JohnnieB that talked about if the solenoid is not clicking it is probably one of the smaller wires/switches around the solenoid. I just can't figure out what I should be looking for to test those wires/switches.

BTW, I did give up looking for my long lost multimeter and bought a new one so I can test things is people want to know certain readings.

smitj02
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Forget the meter for now, lets get the cart running again then put the meter on it... Start by checking for power to the key switch. Yes? okay power out when you turn the key on? Where does it go in the old cart? F&R micro switches? Check power in and out of the F&R MS... my guess is you have found a problem already if you went this far....
It is likely something you have worked on during the install are there any extra wires left disconnected ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
smitj02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think I flunked the first test (Power to the key switch). If I put the black wire of my multimeter on the negative battery terminal and the red one on the top part of the key switch (blue wire) I get mostly zero volts, sometimes a very brief 17 or so. Should I be seeing the full voltage of the pack come through the key switch? If so then I need to work backwards from there right?

smitj02
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Because you say your battery meter read pack voltage when key was turned on, I'm guessing you have a controller type Marathon rather than a resistor type Marathon since the resistor type doesn't have power to key switch until pedal is pushed.

Here is a schematic with the solenoid activation circuit traced.

One side of key switch will have B+ all the time and the other terminal only has it when key is in "ON" position.

(The key switch in the resistor type is in the middle of a series string and doesn't have B+ on one terminal all the time.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic. with KSI traced.JPG (78.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
smitj02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am 99 44/100% sure I have a resistor cart. The first pic I think should clinch it. The bit about power only going to the key switch with the pedal pushed helped though. I pressed the pedal without the key and then got the pack voltage on the lower part of the key switch (the yellow wire in pic 2) with the key on I get power on both sides of the key. I then follow the blue wire down to the F&R switch. I get the voltage on the side of the micro switch where the blue wire is, but I don't get voltage on the other side. Does this mean the micro switch is bad?

FYI, the meter connections that I made came from a doc that came with the meter. I am not only connecting the meter to the switch; it goes from the - end of the pack to the meter, the other wire from the meter goes to one side of the key switch with the other side of the key switch going to the + side of the pack. This shouldn't matter at all at this point since I have removed all the meter connections while I try to get the cart going again. I would like to know however if this way of hooking up the meter will be a problem going forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5522.jpg (137.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG5523.jpg (99.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That be a Resistor cart.

Here's a drawing for it. (It's for a later year, so it might not match 100%)

As you see, the key switch is electrically located between two microswitches and B- is obtained via the Field (Stator) winding.
Other than saving a few inches of 18Ga wire per cart, I cannot figure out why EZGO designed it that way.

Personally, I would wire it: (B+ on battery pack) -> (keyswitch) -> (MS-2 on F/R) -> (MS-3 on throttle) -> (solenoid coil) -> (B- on battery pack), like it is connected on Marathon controller carts and the subsequent series carts.

That way the DVM SoC meter can be connected to the switched leg of the key switch and you could read pack voltage just by turning key on.

On the other hand, the DVM SoC meter draws so little current that it can be connected directly to B+ and B- on the battery pack and left on all the time without noticeably discharging the pack.

My DVM SoC is connected directly to the pack and I like it that way.

---------------

As for the microswitch being bad. The picture shows the lever arm on MS-2 in the indentation on the F/R cam, so the NC contacts ought to be closed.
If you are getting voltage on the terminal with blue wire attached and not getting on the other terminal, the switch is bad, or maladjusted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic - KSI Traced.JPG (90.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
smitj02
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, I have removed the microswitch and I think it is indeed bad. I can't get it to show closed on my multimeter with any amount of wiggling tapping or anything. I did some googling and found the thread below. The item is still available on Amazon for $24.67 shipped. I am going to give my local dealer a call in the AM and see if he has one quicker and/or cheaper. If he doesn't have one I will order from Amazon.

If anyone else knows of a good source for these, let me know.

Once I get the cart running again then I am going to look at installing the meter again. The thing with just wiring it direct to the pack is that I live in Minnesota and my cart just sits for several months a year in my garage. Seems a little wasteful having it sit there glowing all that time.

smitj02

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...wont-move.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO