lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
winghunting
Not Yet Wild

Default converter question

I have a 36 to 12 volt, 25 Amp converter that seems to have quit working. It is showing 36 volts in and 36 volts out. My question is this shot or is there a internal fues of some sort that might be blown? If its shot, I am going to have to buy another one, so whats the best converter to buy for a cart?? Thanks a lot!
winghunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: converter question

I think once a reducer is bad, you just have to replace it...A converter converts a power supply from one form or outlet to another AC-DC is one example...What you need is a voltage reducer as it reduces your carts 36 volts down to 12 volts for your accessories.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
winghunting
Not Yet Wild

10-4. Reducer is what I meant. Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it's shot and out of warranty, what's the harm in opening it up? You might get lucky and find a fuse.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

36 v in and 36 v out doesn't sound good to me. That would indicate things are shorted internally and not a blown fuse, but taking a look inside won't hurt. Can't recommend a specific reducer or source, but when you search for one, make sure you get one with some reserve power for those things you haven't thought of yet. Keep the brand that is now shot in mind also, as you may not want another one of those. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Sorry, I missed the 36 volts in and 36 volts out. I thought it was just dead.

Concur, that isn't likely a fuse.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
I think once a reducer is bad, you just have to replace it...A converter converts a power supply from one form or outlet to another AC-DC is one example...What you need is a voltage reducer as it reduces your carts 36 volts down to 12 volts for your accessories.
Personally, I believe Winghunter was using the correct terminology.
Technically, the voltage reducers typically found in carts are Step-Down DC to DC Converters.

If anyone is interested, National Semiconductor teaches DC to DC Converter basics at their on-line Analog University.
http://www.national.com/AU/design/courses/253/index.htm

If the misbehaving DC to DC Converter didn't smoke the accessories connected to it when it failed, the 36V at the 12V output can probably only be read with a high impedance voltmeter when no load is connected. That means it was a reasonably good design, insofar as it didn't take out what was connected to it when it failed.

Being old school, I usually add at least 50% when sizing a power source.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I stand corrected, as almost all of the companies I get these from for golf carts call them Voltage Reducers I have always used that terminology...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I was just picking a nit.

I usually call them voltage reducers also, but calling them converters isn't wrong since that is what most of them are.

In fact, I doubt there are any 36v to 12V voltage reducers that put out more than a couple amps using linear regulators are on the market these days due to the heat they generate. Switch mode power supplies (Choppers) are far more efficient.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
winghunting
Not Yet Wild

Well, the only thing I had running off of it was a cd player/radio, which is no longer working. I pulled the cd player and the fuse that is on the back is not blown though?? The only thing that I can figure why is that the converter is showing 36 in and 36 out. I just assumed the radio was fryed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO