lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
PrivateUse
Not Yet Wild

Default PowerDrive2 CutOff Voltage

I received a cart from an aunt and am trying to get it working correctly.
I put all new T875 batteries in and it seemed to run great.
I put the charger on it after each use but noticed the battery indicator light was on sometimes, which I found weird.
The light began to stay on and the cart got slower and slower.

Here is what I have figured out (based on reading this forum).
With the charging on the floor of the cart, it was getting too hot during 15 amp stage and was shutting itself off (thus the battery light indicator telling me charging was interrupted without reaching full charge).

I moved it to an open area and it ran for 14-16 hours and shut off automatically again (but amps had reduced down over time which was promising) but the battery light indicator was telling me charging was interrupted without reaching full charge (does this mean OBC is working?).

I now have a meter on the batteries and have them charged up to 62.2 V and still have not reached cut off (getting concerned). Am I hurting the batteries?

Does the OBC determine the cut off voltage or does the PowerDrive2? Is there anyway to adjust this to 60V?
PrivateUse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: PowerDrive2 CutOff Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateUse View Post
I received a cart from an aunt and am trying to get it working correctly.
I put all new T875 batteries in and it seemed to run great.
I put the charger on it after each use but noticed the battery indicator light was on sometimes, which I found weird.
The light began to stay on and the cart got slower and slower.

Here is what I have figured out (based on reading this forum).
With the charging on the floor of the cart, it was getting too hot during 15 amp stage and was shutting itself off (thus the battery light indicator telling me charging was interrupted without reaching full charge).

I moved it to an open area and it ran for 14-16 hours and shut off automatically again (but amps had reduced down over time which was promising) but the battery light indicator was telling me charging was interrupted without reaching full charge (does this mean OBC is working?).

I now have a meter on the batteries and have them charged up to 62.2 V and still have not reached cut off (getting concerned). Am I hurting the batteries?

Does the OBC determine the cut off voltage or does the PowerDrive2? Is there anyway to adjust this to 60V?
Sounds like the charger is working fine as it will shut down automatically after 16hrs. It sounds to me that you may have a weak battery or two that the charger is trying to bring up level with the others but times out before it can. What are you voltage readings of each battery after a 12hr rest?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The charger is irrelevant. The OBC tells the charger what to do. What vehicle do you have? A common problem with DS cars is the OBC getting stuck in charge mode. This can be determined by the behavior of the charger when the plug is inserted into the vehicle.

Normal operation: The charger will turn on 2-10 seconds AFTER the plug is inserted, charger will charge for another 2-10 seconds, turn off, and back on until it's finished charging.

Stuck on charge mode: The charger will turn on IMMEDIATELY when the pins in the charger plug make contact with the pins in the receptacle on the cart. If this happens, replace OBC... the charger will NEVER turn off, and you'll have barbecued batteries in no time.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
PrivateUse
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the long delay, I have been trying multiple things and am about to replace OBC but wanted to give one last update in case anyone has other thoughts.

When I plug in the charger, it takes about 5 seconds for it to turn on but does not turn off/on again seconds later.

It will start charging but will shut off before reaching full charge UNLESS the current is below 5 amps (If I bypass the OBC and charge it until the amps are low, reconnect and start charging again, it will complete and shut off).

There is no set time for how long it will run before shutting off when above 5 amps.

My final shut off voltage seems to be around 64.7 volts (which seems a little high).

The batteries are brand new.
PrivateUse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car