lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
ezone
Not Yet Wild

Default transaxle distress

My 36 volt ez go SER#963222 MANF CODE H2396 started making a clunk when I first took off. It acted like it had backlash in the trans axle, it would take a second or two before it moved then it would make the clunk and take off. Finally it clunked and made a noise like a gear didn't mesh together properly and hasn't moved on it's own since. Thinking there would be something obvious in the trans axle I removed the motor and the inspection plate on the bottom of the trans but everything I can see looks perfectly fine. Since I don't know what to look for or how to troubleshoot the problem I am reluctant to start tearing it apart.
If anyone has an idea or suggestion I would certainly appreciate any help.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: transaxle distress

I have no idea, but if you decide to tear it apart, here are links to all manuals, and the axle:

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Dana Axle:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...5-28148g01.pdf
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When it's not moving, can you hear the motor spin?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
When it's not moving, can you hear the motor spin?
That was a question I was going to ask!
I don't know EZGO's, but, from what I understand, (past experience on a trail ride with a fellow BGW member)
they spin/strip hubs, and that what it sounds like to me!

although... I've been wrong before!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
That was a question I was going to ask!
I don't know EZGO's, but, from what I understand (past experience on a trail ride with a fellow BGW member),
they spin/strip hubs, and that what it sounds like to me!

although... I've been wrong before!

+1 probably a stripped hub.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
TxPowderCoater
Getting Wild

agreed on the stripped hub, mine were wrench tight and still clicked until I put 'em on with the impact on low setting, snugged em right up nice and havent heard a peep of noise in 2 months now.
TxPowderCoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

sounds like a striped brake hub,

you have to be able to see the castle nut in the middle of your rear wheels, if you have a center cap covering the nut, you need to remove it, when you can see the castle nut holding the hub on the axle, --- this will take two people to do, one of you put your foot on the brake and push the go pedal easy/EASY JUST for a second, and the other needs to see if the NUT in the middle of the wheel is spinning, and the wheel is not, start with the driver side, but check both , this is a common problem with ezgo, let us know what you find, its a easy fix if this is your problem.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
ezone
Not Yet Wild

Yes I can hear the motor spin. With the tires off of the ground I can rotate the tire and the spline where the motor bolts up will spin, but if I hold on to the spline I can prevent it from turning when I rotate the tire. I don't know if this is means anything because one tire would have to be neutral when turning a curve so that may be what is happening here.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
rib33024

Well if you have the motor off, you cant do the test i posted,, remove the tire and remove the brake drum and look at the splines in the brake hub, and the end of the axle and see if they are striped if so you will need a new hub
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
ezone
Not Yet Wild

following the advice of RIB 33024 I removed the brake drums. through my inexperience I did not realize the drums were supposed to be have splines. I say supposed to because the drivers side is virtually smooth but the pass side looks almost new. Looks like I took lots of stuff apart for nothing, but I'm sure this will solve the problem and fairly inexpensively too. Thanks to all who responded and keep those carts rolling.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO