lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
awheat54
Not Yet Wild

Question Is my cart worth rebuilding?

I recently was given a 88 ezgo marathon electric go cart and Im planning on rebuilding it either to keep for my son to ride on or to sell. The batteries were replaced shortly before it was parked for about two years. Then recently my aunt wanted to get the cart up and running. Someone tried to fix it, but all it looks like to me is they unhooked all the wires, so no one else could fix it. Anyways, I don't know what the original issue was, but I do know its most likely been compounded by the time it's spent in the elements and someonelses inexperience. I have the mechanical and electrical knowledge to make any necessary repairs needed. This will be my first golf Cart project, so I want to know when I start the process, as far as, my visual inspection and partial tear down what sort of things should I look out for, besides the obvious like rust. I do not have deep pockets for this project. Any recommendations, comments, or input would be greatly appreciated.
awheat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Is my cart worth rebuilding?

weellll... first batteries are a must !! sitting 2 years killed them
1988 E-Z-GO are good starter cart not much to go wrong

here is Wiring Diagram for 1982 to 1993 pre-Medalist E-Z-GO with Resistor Speed Control 36v ..i think it is for your cart

i can get you a larger size if needed

before anything i would check motor

link ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...art-motor.html
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
awheat54
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the diagram and info. That diagram also looks to be correct at first glance. Another quick question, I'm going to use a 12v battery charger on manual and charge each battery, and then load test the battery's. I'm sure your right that the batteries are toast. What would be the least expensive route for battery replacement, mainly just for diagnostics, because like I mentioned earlier I don't want to sink a ton of money in the cart at the moment. I should be able to use a 12v battery for testing purposes, right?
awheat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's not going to run on a single 12V battery. Maybe you can borrow some for testing if you can't get yours to take a charge.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
crash test dummy

yes and yes ... you can charge them up might take the charge but not pass the load test
, be sure to check water and only use distilled water
i have used a 12v to do the motor test ...if motor is good then rest is not expensive .. well batteries but you know that
Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

For what its worth, I would go buy a $15 250 amp fuse to put inline with the batteries. Just in case.. You dont know what was wrong before and would be a good protection against a complete melt down..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
derkoldoo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

im new to carts, but I just went to look at an 09 pds. I had 10 to choose from. every one of these carts had terrible rusting going on under it on the frames. I live in dallas and like I said these were 09 carts. so you should really check the frame for rusting on a cart that old.. God bless
derkoldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkoldoo View Post
im new to carts, but I just went to look at an 09 pds. I had 10 to choose from. every one of these carts had terrible rusting going on under it on the frames. I live in dallas and like I said these were 09 carts. so you should really check the frame for rusting on a cart that old.. God bless
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
88 ezgo marathon, electric
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO