lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Can't adjust brakes

My brakes are too tight. So, I looked online to see how to adjust them. Went out and started to work. When it came to the adjusting part I can't do it because the adjustment screw/pin isn't there (see pic)

I don't have that. No pictures right now, but I am lost.
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Can't adjust brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangless View Post
My brakes are too tight. So, I looked online to see how to adjust them. Went out and started to work. When it came to the adjusting part I can't do it because the adjustment screw/pin isn't there (see pic)

I don't have that. No pictures right now, but I am lost.
If this is on the cart in your sig, then you shouldn't have an adjustment screw. A 2003 cart would have auto adjusters. To adjust your brakes, first put everything back together, then get on your cart and back up full speed and brake to a stop. Do this several times, back up and stop, back up and stop. This should adjust your brakes to where they need to be.

EDIT: I looked again and I see also your cart is lifted, check to see that the axle hasn't rolled slightly forward causing the brake cables to tighten up and make the brakes grab. This is a common condition called axle twist, and it is caused by loosening of the U bolts on the rear end letting the rear axle twist forward.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
mustangless
Getting Wild
Club Car

Been out there looking for an adjuster for an hour, glad to know I don't have one.

Brakes have been tight for months. Had somebody work on them earlier this year because they were sticking. Cables are not tight either. Did have the u-joint loose when I first did the kit, but fixed that.

Never tried backing up over and over, but I would think they would have adjusted after all this time. I will try that and see what happens.
mustangless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Make sure your backing plates have a light spot grease on the places where the shoes slide. Then make sure the slide part at the bottom on the backing plate moves freely. Wd40. This is the part the bottom end of the shoes rest on. Loosen the adjustment so that you can put the drums back on. Then you can use your finger to press the lever the brake cable hooks to until it moves the ratchet one tooth at a time until you can no longer get it to ratchet. You shoes are now adjusted. Also make sure the correct shoes are where they should be. If the slides are sticking they will tighten up and not adjust correctly.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

One more thing, if you have too much travel in the brake cables, this is just a guess on my part. I think it may let the ratchet catch an extra tooth, thus over tighten the brakes.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car