lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
weevil78
Not Yet Wild

Default '83 ezgo marathon resistor cart won't reverse

I have inherited a 1983 ezgo resistor cart and need help with reverse. The cart works fine forward, but we get nothing in reverse.

The cart is completely stock right now.

The batteries are new. The cabling is either new or verified good. The F/R switch has been removed, cleaned and appears to be in good shape. The solenoid appears to be new, but I'm not sure. There are no heat spots noticeable or obvious issues that I can find.

Should the solenoid click when in reverse as it does in forward?

Could my issue be the micro switch? But wouldn't it not work for forward either?

Any help is appreciated, just getting into this cart thing and would like to start with a fully functional unit before I begin the upgrade/modification journey.

Thanks.
weevil78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: '83 ezgo marathon resistor cart won't reverse

Weevil,
The solenoid should click in both forward and reverse. If it doesn't click in reverse, chances are that the problem is a micro switch. Although I'm not familiar with your model, those I've seen have a micro switch or 2 on the F/R switch. This is to verify that the F/R is moved completely to either the Forward or Reverse position, and prevents switching it under load. There's a cam of sorts that operates that switch(s).

If the solenoid does click in both Forward and Reverse, but it won't run in Reverse, the problem is in the contacts of the F/R switch.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
weevil78
Not Yet Wild

First, thanks for the response.

My model has a single micro switch on the F/R. I noticed that it doesn't "sit" in the notch on the cam but I hear it click when I move it to the reverse position as it does when positioned for forward. I've jiggled and wiggled it every way possible with no luck.

I've thought about making the move and getting a new heavy duty F/R because I intend on eventually moving to a 48 volt system and solid state and assume that would be a wise move.

Do you get the micro switch and all when you purchase a F/R switch? I know it is different for each retailer, but I'm probably going with ScottyB's since he seems well respected on here.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
crash test dummy

82 ~ 93 ez-go resistor carts had 2 micro switches on f/r controller

wiring diagram

Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
weevil78
Not Yet Wild

Now I'm more confused. Mine only has one and it isn't located on the visible side of the switch. I'm guessing it has been replaced. Again. inherited this thing and have no documentation on it. So maybe I should ask. What year model is mine? The serial number is 281714, and from what I've found that seems to indicate an '83. Is that incorrect?

Thanks for the diagrams. Saw them stickied already but didn't notice the two micro switches, just saw the one and thought it was on the wrong side for visual only.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Sdsuslacker
Not Yet Wild

What's the model number? I just bought an 84 marathon. The model number, according to ezgo states the year in the first 2 digits.

There are two micro switches on the "non visible" side of the F/R switch. The one on the left, as you face the windshield, looks should have one wire off of it that leads to the reverse buzzer. So, total newbie to the cart world myself, but I've learned a lot from these wonderful people, that may be your problem.
Sdsuslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Sdsuslacker
Not Yet Wild

Here are two pics from my cart. The yellow colored wire is the wire that leads to the micro switch on the the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (368.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Sdsuslacker
Not Yet Wild

Attachment 94931Wouldn't let me post two pics in one, here is the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (297.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

One micro switch is in the solenoid activation circuit and is needed to run the cart.
The other microswitch turns on the reverse beeper only, so it may or may not exist.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Weevil,
Back to what I said before: if the solenoid doesn't click when you're in Reverse, but everything works OK in Forward, it just about has to be that micro switch on the F/R switch. Don't go simply by appearances, test the voltages.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO