lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
tha5150
Getting Wild

Default Sparks wiring meter and now nothing

So, just got myself an 87 Marathon and didnt have a battery meter so i got one. Putting it on lastnight, a wire touched the positive and sparks flew and now the dang thing wont go forward or reverse. meter works though lol. so a friend came over and helped me figure things out, sort of, since i am not too electrical savvy yet.

anyways, traced everything from the switch and found the 2 contactor switches that move from fwd and rev may have fried. We can not get any continuity past these. So i guess they are bad and I have to replace.

This is what i followed
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

Am i doing this right? #38 and its twin are bad. I get a beep on my meter from the switch until these guys. . . with or without the pedal pressed, i get nothing.. What is the name of the parts i need?
tha5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
tha5150
Getting Wild

Default Re: Sparks wiring meter and now nothing

Is this what i need? 2 of these? Could someone verify part numbers who knows about these please. .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-GO-GOLF-C...1b2692&vxp=mtr
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That looks like a switch that will fit according to the seller. Before you order try bypassing the switch by connecting both wires to the same terminal on each switch. Only one switch makes the cart go - other switch makes the buzzer and 1/2 speed reverse work.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
tha5150
Getting Wild

That's just it. There are these random small wires that do not belong on the diagram and I am not sure where they go. Also there is a small circle thing on the forward switch that has a small red and small black wire and go to nothing. Seems like I am melting wires when connecting things, small wires, and there is a constant hot going on.

I'm sure I am not making much sense with my lack of knowledge with electronics.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
tha5150
Getting Wild

Could someone link me to a better wiring diagram, something that focuses on the FWD and REV switch and the other smaller wires.

I am having to trace everything and seems there are wires not connected to anything. The little circle on the forward reverse switch. There is 2 very small wires black and red and just hanging and not connected.

I need to rewire everything while i try to resolve and learn.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Many F&R switches have a small round backup alarm on them, they typically have the red and black wires you describe. The cart's electrical is a very simple system shown above. Any extra wires you have which go nowhere are are just extra. Over the years everybody and their brother gets under the seat and begins 'rewiring' these carts so they can look pretty scary after a couple of decades - lol

Make your cart match the diagram and it will run........
Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
tha5150
Getting Wild

OK so it is the alarm for reverse. Got it.

I just have no idea what i am looking at or what specific parts are called. The diagram is missing part numbers referencing part names. :(
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha5150 View Post
OK so it is the alarm for reverse. Got it.

I just have no idea what i am looking at or what specific parts are called. The diagram is missing part numbers referencing part names. :(
If I tell you the speed wiper selector is an apple and the charge receptacle is an orange it wont change the wire diagram or your cart. The beauty of this PICTURE diagram is you can locate the charge receptacle or the speed wiper by looking at the picture and your cart. Sometimes its a matter of elimination - there are only a few devices in play here.
My point is you can call them part A or B and the diagram still applies. Follow one wire at a time ... it sounded like you identified 2 broken micro switches? Fried ms is typical of a direct short.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
tha5150
Getting Wild

Thanks for the analogys. Yeah the micro switches are probably fried.

Should I be able to turn the key off, wire bypass to test and turn switch on all without sparks or burning 16gauge wire? Seems the little wires got hot or burned when I tried before. The extra wires are what's throwing me off.

Can I buy these micro switches from the link above? Same ones I need? Or do they have these at lowes or Home Depot by chance?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need golf cart parts to sure the application and duty is correct. If your on a budget I may have a used one. You only need one to run the cart. The other one runs the buzzer. You can bypass the ms for testing purposes. But it is not safe for operation.

If wires melt you have a direct short. Never mix + and - on a switch device.

Cut the extra wire out or tape them up so the cart wiring looks simple again as it was originally. There are only a small few wires needed to make the cart run.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO