lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #31
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery Range?

I believe Sepex motors are more efficient than Series wound motors due to field mapping.

Whether an electric motor is a high torque motor or a high speed motor depends on the relative strength on the magnetic fields produced by the armature and stator windings. A relatively strong stator field produces higher torque at lower RPM while a relative weak stator field produces higher torque at higher RPM which in turn produces more speed.

The Armature and Stator magnetic field strengths are determined but the number of turns of wire in the windings and the current flow through the windings. The current flow through a both armature and stator is the same in both armature and stator windings in a series motor however they are not in a sepex motor. By altering the amount of current flowing in the stator of a sepex motor, relative the the current flow in the armature, it can be transformed from a high torque motor to a high speed motor on the fly, so it is more efficient at both low and high RPM. The process of doing so is called Field Mapping.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #32
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Thanks. Sometimes I wish I had become an electrical, rather than civil engineer.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I believe Sepex motors are more efficient than Series wound motors due to field mapping.

Whether an electric motor is a high torque motor or a high speed motor depends on bla...bla...bla...relative weak (I have weak relatives too. They spend a lot of time at bars) which in turn bla...bla...bla .

The Armature and Stator magnetic field (Is this anything like Jack and Daniels whiskey?). The current flow bla....bla...bla... By altering your state of mind, bla, bla, bla....... The process of doing so is called Field Mapping.
Well, all I can tell you is I went to college to become a CPA. Now, I was, when I worked for a living, darn good at reading pages and pages of tax code and turning that into regular language that even a third grader could understand.

I get bit's and pieces of this electrical stuff and even on occasion a "flash" of brilliance comes over me and just for an instance.....I get it. But then....in another flash....it's gone again. I don't get upset about it any longer. I just post to this forum, and pour a Jack over ice. Then these guys post stuff in second grade language that I can mostly understand. Problem solved.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #34
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Thanks. Sometimes I wish I had become an electrical, rather than civil engineer.
Many of the Civil Engineers that I dealt with in the past weren't very civil.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #35
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Well, all I can tell you is I went to college to become a CPA. Now, I was, when I worked for a living, darn good at reading pages and pages of tax code and turning that into regular language that even a third grader could understand.

I get bit's and pieces of this electrical stuff and even on occasion a "flash" of brilliance comes over me and just for an instance.....I get it. But then....in another flash....it's gone again. I don't get upset about it any longer. I just post to this forum, and pour a Jack over ice. Then these guys post stuff in second grade language that I can mostly understand. Problem solved.

Dave
Sorry about that. I forgot to prefix it with a Technical Content Warning.

I'm not sure if Lynchburg produces enough Jack Daniels for me to understand the Tax Code, but the gentleman from Tennessee and I have shared some learning experiences.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #36
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't worry Johnny, there are a lot of people. On here that understand you perfectly being a electronics engineer tech myself for over 20 years , keep doing what your doing
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #37
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
Don't worry Johnny, there are a lot of people. On here that understand you perfectly being a electronics engineer tech myself for over 20 years , keep doing what your doing
All I can tell you is thank goodness the "tin foil hat crew" is around here to figure out stuff before I fry stuff I shouldn't.

I still think JohnnieB should market those tinfoil hats though.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO