lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
c.j.
Not Yet Wild

Default Which Cart to Get?

I am looking to buy a Gas Golf Cart in the next month. is EZGO and club car pretty much the same as Ford and chevy? What would your recommend I get if I want to do the below things to it.

- Lift
-Tires /wheels
-sound System
- HID lights
c.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: Which Cart to Get?

Can't really go wrong with either brand. Sticking with the big 3 is best, Club Car, Yamaha, and EZGO. I do have to say though that Yamaha makes a pretty wicked gas cart, super frames and great suspension. The newer EZGOs with the Kawasaki drive train seem to have problems, though the ones with the two cylinder Robins engines are good. Club Car gassers are good too, plus you get an aluminum frame that'll never rust. It's really all in what you find you like best, I'd recommend looking at a few and driving a few of each brand, then deciding.

The upgrades you listed are available in many varieties for all 3 major brands.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yamaha definitely has the best factory suspension (even when lifted) and can be modified to be the fastest with a lot less work than EZGO or CC - my issue with them is I can't stand the "thumpy" nature of the big single-cylinder engine (same with CC, although I avoid them due to generally being aenemic compared to Yami's or EZGO's) ... The New 13hp EZGO's are quite problematic as recreational carts, the rear ends have plastic governor gears and can and will explode if they are run at higher speeds for extended periods = not to mention the factory driven clutches are so prone to failure that they have actually had recalls, etc. Add in the "thumpy" and fairly weak nature of the 13hp single-cylinder, and I would avoid them like the plague.

That said, the EZGO pre-2008 models with the Robins engines are probably the best bang for the buck, as well as a durable, high-quality cart. The engines are strong and very smooth, have an excellent track record, and being a 2-cyl actually make the cart feel more powerful than single-cylinder engines of higher HP. Parts are readily available and easy to install (as well as reasonably priced) and with few mods can run reliably at 28-32mph for years and years. The only real "weak link" is the ride of the stock suspension (stock or lifted) but that too can be turned around easily with a long-travel kit instead of a cheap lift.

I build quite a few carts for resale as a sideline, and I have basically gone to exclusively pre-2008 EZGO's based on initial cost, costs to customize, quality of the carts and drivetrain overall, as well as resale. The poorest cost-to-results/resale ratio I have found to hands down be Club Car, and Yamaha's are in the middle ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
c.j.
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Yamaha definitely has the best factory suspension (even when lifted) and can be modified to be the fastest with a lot less work than EZGO or CC - my issue with them is I can't stand the "thumpy" nature of the big single-cylinder engine (same with CC, although I avoid them due to generally being aenemic compared to Yami's or EZGO's) ... The New 13hp EZGO's are quite problematic as recreational carts, the rear ends have plastic governor gears and can and will explode if they are run at higher speeds for extended periods = not to mention the factory driven clutches are so prone to failure that they have actually had recalls, etc. Add in the "thumpy" and fairly weak nature of the 13hp single-cylinder, and I would avoid them like the plague.

That said, the EZGO pre-2008 models with the Robins engines are probably the best bang for the buck, as well as a durable, high-quality cart. The engines are strong and very smooth, have an excellent track record, and being a 2-cyl actually make the cart feel more powerful than single-cylinder engines of higher HP. Parts are readily available and easy to install (as well as reasonably priced) and with few mods can run reliably at 28-32mph for years and years. The only real "weak link" is the ride of the stock suspension (stock or lifted) but that too can be turned around easily with a long-travel kit instead of a cheap lift.

I build quite a few carts for resale as a sideline, and I have basically gone to exclusively pre-2008 EZGO's based on initial cost, costs to customize, quality of the carts and drivetrain overall, as well as resale. The poorest cost-to-results/resale ratio I have found to hands down be Club Car, and Yamaha's are in the middle ...
Great info thanks a lot
c.j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Brew is going to think I am stalking him.. But I agree with him on the older Robbins motors. I currently have two 350s in workhorses. I also have an RXV with the kawasaki and they are different animals.. I have the high torque clutches on the RXV and it pulls well but IMO it is not as smooth as the twins.. It also has been having issues recently with just turning over the motor with a fresh battery. Looking into that but I am hearing that is becoming common on them.

The downside is I am hearing rumors that EZ-Go won't be carrying parts much longer for the robbins but they should be available aftermarket...
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah KG, You're starting to freak me out, LOL ..... In all seriousness though, it's a crying shame about the Kawi drivetrains, as the potential is there in spades - just in no way realized and far too much of a hassle and expense to work out. The good news (as KG said) is really, other than uber-major components like the block, head, etc there are aftermarket solutions for basically everything in the 295/350 drivetrain, ignition, carbs, exhaust, internals, gaskets, clutches, you name it. EZGO supposedly sold off their entire remaining inventory of complete new motors sometime last spring, but that too isn't a bad thing.

I'm not sure if speed and power are something You're concerned about, but if that's your goal there really is a lot that can be done to the Robin engines, and more is coming out every day it seems - both in the line of aftermarket hop-ups, and mods that some of the crazies here have developed, LOL, There are also some excellent rebuilders out there that can take your stock engine at 9hp and about $600 and send You back a completely rebuilt 13hp 375 Engine with all the consistency and reliability of stock, no crazy-loud exhaust (like the big-block guys) and tons of power plus years of faithful service.

As YCC mentioned, with the exception of the Kawasaki-based EZGO's, it's probably a good idea to take a few carts for a test ride and see what seems to fit YOU the best (plus that can make for quite an enjoyable afternoon, LOL) providing a relatively stock cart is what You're looking for. If a lift, speed mods, etc are something You're serious about though, I'd still recommend the 295/350 EZGO's first, Yamahas second, and CC's a distant third - all are going to cost a bit to dial in, but again bang for the buck I'd stick with the 295/350 EZ's
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
seastrike
Not Yet Wild

Ok it is very clear that Brew City is not a fan of the Kawasaki drive train carts. No problem he clearly has a lot of knowledge on carts and is willing to share this. Now as a new owner of one of these carts 2013 txt I have been unable to find other info on these 2008.5 and up carts with Kawasaki engines and the problems. Is there anyone who has had one or has had first hand experience with major component failure on these that also would care to contribute. Its kind of making me feel like I need to sell the really nice cart that I just bought :( Just so you know I am not calling out Brew or dismissing him in anyway... just wanted to hear others and their experiences.
seastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I own one of the new drive trains and it is just a different feel. If you plan on just normal driving with a little more speed added you will probably be okay with what you have. I have not seen one implode but if it is a plastic governor that could happen but it really would have to be spinning. Not sure what speed that would be.. Mine has just been giving me problems starting and I just haven't figured out why yet but have noticed many other carts with the same setup doing the same thing.. If you are happy with yours, run with it.. We just have opinions, yours matters the most to you
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
seastrike
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I own one of the new drive trains and it is just a different feel. If you plan on just normal driving with a little more speed added you will probably be okay with what you have. I have not seen one implode but if it is a plastic governor that could happen but it really would have to be spinning. Not sure what speed that would be.. Mine has just been giving me problems starting and I just haven't figured out why yet but have noticed many other carts with the same setup doing the same thing.. If you are happy with yours, run with it.. We just have opinions, yours matters the most to you
thanks kgsc... and really I thank Brew to for his input. I am curious to hear from others also. I am happy now because it runs:) but will be bummed if it has a lot of issues. I just haven't been able to find reports of these failures and I hope they aren't widespread
seastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That essential drive train has been run the Club Cars for years so if treated with respect you should be okay.. Mine did have some clutch issues when I got it but upgraded to the new Team clutch setup that yours probably already has. Other than my starter circuit being anemic it has run flawlessly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO