lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 Ez go lifted, from stock motor to 13hp Honda 420cc predator swap

Sadly after hours of trying to find a thread or threads I am sure someone has already done, have to ask for help (sorry...)
Got this lifted cart as a 89 model. Apparently the 2pg model as later in the year they switched to 3pg engines.
It had sat apparently looooong time and needed rebuild. Harbor freight had sell on 13 ho predators new for 169.99 and bought one...no brainer
Anyway putting stock clutch on....apparently need an adapter? Any link on where to buy one to know what to order?
Any link or ideas to make this conversion easier.
I can weld and do fairly decent as a parts swapper. Have no ideas about this cart but seen someone saying it has a break start? Clueless. Usually 4-wheeler, side by side and street bike type of rider. I do customize cars and trucks.
papadetiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 Ez go lifted, from stock motor to 13hp Honda 420cc predator swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadetiempo View Post
Sadly after hours of trying to find a thread or threads I am sure someone has already done, have to ask for help (sorry...)
Got this lifted cart as a 89 model. Apparently the 2pg model as later in the year they switched to 3pg engines.
It had sat apparently looooong time and needed rebuild. Harbor freight had sell on 13 ho predators new for 169.99 and bought one...no brainer
Anyway putting stock clutch on....apparently need an adapter? Any link on where to buy one to know what to order?
Any link or ideas to make this conversion easier.
I can weld and do fairly decent as a parts swapper. Have no ideas about this cart but seen someone saying it has a break start? Clueless. Usually 4-wheeler, side by side and street bike type of rider. I do customize cars and trucks.
Welcome to BGW!!!
Are you willing to give up reverse on the cart?
What is the serial number on the cart. I have never seen an '89 with a 2pg motor.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

Robin Engine
Model: EC 25-2PG
Disp 244CC
Motor # 84-01517
By Fuji Heavy IND.
Made in Japan

Cart has no markings left I can find. It was a tilt bed and it has diamond plate for body except front nose. I doubt that was original
Motor since it looks to be a 1984 model from stamping? Guessing
Reverse doesn't really matter to me. Although would be nice to keep. I plan to rebuild the other motor or get replacement but for the 169.00 for this new motor and apparently an adapter and 10 minutes of welding I can have something to play with until I get the other motor rebuilt this summer
Old 01-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Robin Engine
Model: EC 25-2PG
Disp 244CC
Motor # 84-01517
By Fuji Heavy IND.
Made in Japan

Cart has no markings left I can find. It was a tilt bed and it has diamond plate for body except front nose. I doubt that was original
Motor since it looks to be a 1984 model from stamping? Guessing
Reverse doesn't really matter to me. Although would be nice to keep. I plan to rebuild the other motor or get replacement but for the 169.00 for this new motor and apparently an adapter and 10 minutes of welding I can have something to play with until I get the other motor rebuilt this summer
Is there still a data plate under the right-hand "glove box".
Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

Have serial of 515872
Many code B1589
Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Have serial of 515872
Many code B1589
That's an '89 then. I don't believe the 2pg was used in any 89's though.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

According to Ez go threads:
changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history. The '3pg' engine has the spark plug turned upward, and the whole engine is rotated such that both clutches face the driver side of the golf cart. This rotation allowed for the differential to be changed from a hypoid gearing to a more efficient helical gear design, a change that persists to this day. The lay-down style golf cart muffler for the '3pg' engine is in front of, and slightly above the engine. The piston is about the only part that works in either engine. The crankshaft & clutches, the exhaust system, the carburetor, air intake & control cables all changed.

1992 is the generally accepted date
Old 01-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

1988 was the last full year of the 2pg engine. A larger golf cart carburetor and another change to the muffler & exhaust system were implemented trying to get more power for the car. The st/gen bracket also went through several changes as the incresed power caused the original bracket to break apart.

In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
papadetiempo
Not Yet Wild

Apparently ai have the early 89 2pg since it was mid year 89 before the motors were switched to 3pg. But non of this matters as far as questions I was asking do they? Since I won't be using that motor until later if at all.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
1988 was the last full year of the 2pg engine. A larger golf cart carburetor and another change to the muffler & exhaust system were implemented trying to get more power for the car. The st/gen bracket also went through several changes as the incresed power caused the original bracket to break apart.

In mid-year 1989, (early '89 models had the 2pg engine) E-Z-GO changed to the '3pg' engine, leaving the old 2pg to history.
So does your engine lay down? If it does, it would be the first I have seen like this in an '89.

The swap should be really easy. A lot of guys here, including me, have installed a 4-stroke motor into a marathon.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO