lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #81
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: My '90 Club Car

So there was a fire this past December at our Campground. Luckily nobody was hurt but a farmhouse on the property unfortunately burned to the ground. There was a mid-2000s electric Club Car golf cart (campground maintenance property) parked next to the house when it went up. The only thing that was able to be saved off the mostly-destroyed cart was the back seat frame.

So they let me have it and I'm in the process of cleaning it up for my '90 gas cart. I'm doing a custom mount with it. I want to keep my stock rear bumper (not using the rear step) and push the seat frame forward on the cart so it doesn't hang so far off the back end so much.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #82
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Got the backseat mostly done. Still have to decide what to do with the extra length on the grab handles that go down to the rear step platform (which I'm not using). I'll probably just cut them off.

Also, you can't see it in the photo, but the wood underneath the butt seat cushion is rotten and needs replacing, so that's the next order of business since I can't bolt the seat down properly until I do.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #83
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

That looks good
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #84
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Just some random updates on my '90 Club Car. About 2 months ago I was driving the cart, stopped at a friend's house, then the cart would not start. Felt like it had zero compression. Well what had happened was that the nylon/plastic cam gear (which was bolted/repaired before) came loose from the camshaft. The bolts that held the gear to the camshaft were bent and broken and lying at the bottom of the crank case.

I had several extra camshafts laying around so I swapped it in. Got the motor back together and it fired right up. Went for a quick drive around the cul-de-sac and then the motor squeaked, lost power, then seized. Why? Because I forgot to put oil back in it...

Yanked the motor back out, un-seized it, bolted it back together (put oil in it this time) and it ran again. But it seized up again after a week.

So I sent the crank and rod out to J&M Golf Carts for their crank/rod exchange. Got the crank and rod back, put the motor back together and it ran again. After about a week I had a whining noise (but no power loss or seizing).

Pulled the motor back out and found that the crank bearing in the side cover was making some noise. So I replaced that and put it back together yesterday.

Seems to run great now. During this ordeal I also lapped the valves and ordered the different size tappet caps in order to get the valve clearance set. I didn't install new rings or anything because it wasn't smoking before, I just staggered the ring gaps on re-assembly and still no smoking, and also has 105psi of compression. Knock on wood, the motor purrs like a kitten now, and I'm hoping to be finished working on it for a little while.

And I'm also planning to do a clone motor swap on this golf cart this winter as the stock motor is just not powerful enough for hauling people with the new back seat I put on this past spring. I'll either sell it or keep it as a spare for my '87 Club Car.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #85
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Photo of my crankcase with the broken bolts from the cam gear laying in the bottom of the crankcase:

Cart with the motor out:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #86
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

hope the third times a charm and keeps purring like kitten
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 PM   #87
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
hope the third times a charm and keeps purring like kitten
Just got back from a pretty long ride and it's still running great. We'll see if I get past 1 week this time...
Old 08-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #88
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Plastic cam gear? Friggin sad. I hope you found a metal one!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #89
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

The plastic (or nylon?) gears hold up pretty well. I could have re-used the one in the photo with new (stronger) bolts. But I had a good camshaft with the original riveted gear on it in my parts bin. I don't know that I'd want a metal gear, might make for more engine noise.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:55 PM   #90
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I've just discovered that 8" plastic hub caps will fit steel 10" wheels. I generally hate the way 8" hubcaps look on 8" wheels...but I love the way the turbine-style hubcaps from a stock Club Car look, recessed into the middle of the 10" wheel. Paired with my white-letter tires they give the cart wheels a mid-'70s vibe.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides