lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 04:51 AM   #1
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Golf Cart Dilemma (Long)

I have an old 3 wheel Cushman 36 Volt electric that we have been using around the property for 15 or so years that is getting tired. Thinking I needed more something I bought a 95 gas Club Car DS at an auction. Needed a little TLC but now have it running great. Problem is I may have shot myself in the foot thinking I wanted/needed a gas golf cart.

90% of the time the cart is used for really short trips, hauling something out to the shop or picking stuff up from around the house. I'm afraid the gas cart doesn't get driven far enough to recharge the battery and/or even get the engine warmed up well most of the time it is being used.

The Cushman is a great platform because it has a fairly large bed in the back to haul stuff but as said it's getting tired. If I run it out to the mail box the resistor controller and forward/reverse switch gets noticeably hot even though I have cleaned all the contacts and connections. Even with new batteries it doesn't go very far without needing a charge.

The Gas cart would be OK if I could modify it so it will idle but it would need to be done so it still charges at idle which I'm not sure is even possible Tried just pulling the black wire as posted by several but that doesn't really solve the problem of keeping the battery charged. Although it does keep the starts and wear on the starter down to a minimum.

Looking at my choices...
1. Sell both and get a newer electric in which case I would probably have to add a flip seat like I have done on the gas CC to haul stuff and still have batteries to deal with.
2. Upgrade the Cushman electronics to solid state. Much $ and would still have a 40 year old motor and running gear.
3. Figure out how to make the gas run more like a carry all than a golf cart, if that is even possible. No I can't afford to buy a $10,000.00 ATV

Open for all opinions and suggestions from those that have had allot more experience with golf carts than me...
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Golf Cart Dilemma (Long)

What about doing an on board 12V charger on the DS?

There are plug fittings for boats so you could just plug in an extension cord like you would a charger.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I've added on board battery chargers to 3 of our vehicles, our horse trailer and our skid steer. If the vehicle is not being used, it is kept plugged in and the smart charger keeps the battery topped off and supposedly even has a de-sulfate mode.

Noco Genius is the the type that I am using. Our diesel truck is a 4 amp and the others are 2 amps. I can leave a vehicle for months at a time and it always has a full battery.

This might be a good solution to your "dilemma".

See: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2D...138461&sr=8-20
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I can't give an opinion on gas vs electric because I have only had one gas cart for a short time and that was enough. It is a hotly debated subject. I have probably had 40 electric carts. For what you have explained you use your cart for I don't think there is anything wrong with electric. It doesn't seem like you really need a gas cart. The coils are notorious for getting hot but that's resistor carts. What do you mean by tired? Run down and not looking so good? My opinion is who cares if you're using it as a runabout on your property. Something else is going on with the electric cart because you said even with new batteries it does not get very far. How far though? It is true resistor carts are not as energy efficient but new batteries even on a resistor cart should give you some good distance. Many people here in my club have old 80's resistor club cars. They easily make 18 or 27 holes of golf plus to and from the club no problem. That is several miles easy.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input gang, still mulling this over. I have a very good battery maintainer left over from my motorcycle days. Use it to charge/maintain my ZTR battery over the winter. May just keep both carts and use each depending on the task... Still thinking.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well made part of the decision, sold the Gas Club Car yesterday to someone that has a better use than me. Now looking at my options for updating the Cushman.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides