lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #1
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Got bit by the plowman bug...

Sent my shocks to Don for some work and by the time I was off the phone with him I ordered a performance kit. My neighbor has an electric cart with a magnet and keeps making fun of how slow my stock cart is...so hopefully this will be a nice little surprise for him lol.

Anyway, for those of you who have put one on...can you give me any tips I can use for prep while waiting for my shipment? Anything I can do to make things easier/get out of the way now so when it arrives, I can get right to work?
Jdk261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Got bit by the plowman bug...

Clutch removal tools. Good quality ones. Do exactly what Don Plowman tells you to do lol

His stuff is legit. It won't make your cart into a rocket by any means, but it will be quicker and faster and more fun to drive! 100%!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

He asked me if I had a tool to remove the primary clutch, which I didn’t, so that’s going to be sent along with the kit. I’m really looking forward to this. Not expecting a rocket, persee, but I have plans to try and hurt some feelings lol.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have one of Don’s tool it works great. That tool got passed around at our camp more the comb at picture day.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I guess that I have been lucky but I have never used a clutch removal tool on any of the Yamaha's I have worked on. Sometimes they just fall off when the bolt is removed and the others I slid a pry bar down close to the shaft, got some pressure on it and hit the clutch with my nylon hammer and it pops off.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by villebacker View Post
I guess that I have been lucky but I have never used a clutch removal tool on any of the Yamaha's I have worked on. Sometimes they just fall off when the bolt is removed and the others I slid a pry bar down close to the shaft, got some pressure on it and hit the clutch with my nylon hammer and it pops off.
I’m not risking it. I have little experience in this arena lol.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by villebacker View Post
The primary clutch is the tough one. If you pry behind it you can crack the clutch, or worse, crack the engine block. The tool is designed to push the clutch off by pressing on the crankshaft.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update: Kit came and I got everything put on. Triple-checked everything to make sure it was installed as-instructed. I called to schedule tuning, but Don wasn't in today and they asked me to call back tomorrow. I took it for a spin around the neighborhood and I'm GPS'ing 12 mph with my phone app.

Spark plug seems to be ok...I checked the gap to make sure it matched what the service manual recommends. There was some fouling, but the element and everything was fine so I cleaned it and put it back in.

I imagined, even without tuning, that I'd see a noticeable increase in speed/power...however I have not seen that "wow factor" yet. I'm still new to this, so I'm going to "trust the process" and see what unlocks after the tuning session.

For anyone who knows more about this, or has installed the performance kit...is this typical? It is an 8 year old cart, so maybe wherever it went before it got to me has valves and cables out of spec that need to be adjusted? Just trying to get my head around what could be going on because it feels exactly the same as it did before my install. Maybe I did something wrong? lol, I'm just puzzled...
Old 09-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Wait and work with Don IMO...he is the Yamaha man!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Wait and work with Don IMO...he is the Yamaha man!!!
That's the plan...being so new, I'm just doubting myself lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha