lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
alexdavid4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Exclamation Plowman’s upgrade Drive 2 efi primary clutch removal

I just bought a 2020 Yamaha drive2 efi and with a lift and bigger tires it was boggy up hills, so I sent my secondary clutch to Plowman’s for the upgrade. Got it back with instructions to remove the 2 lower rear shock bolts and jack up the bumper to gain access to the primary clutch bolt for removal (all just to install the new drive belt). I have been pulling my hair out for 2 days - i can only assume his instructions referred to a straight axel rear end and I have the independent rear suspension setup. I have tried 5-6 different ways to get at it, so far I was able to remove the battery box and get my impact in there to take the clutch bolt out but there is not enough room to slide the clutch all the way off the shaft. Any advice is appreciated
alexdavid4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Plowman’s upgrade Drive 2 efi primary clutch removal

What's the procedure in the service manual?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
alexdavid4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
What's the procedure in the service manual?
I ordered a paper version - not here yet, can’t find a download anywhere
alexdavid4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #4
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I removed both clutches at the same time. I don't believe I was able to just remove the secondary by itself because the belt isn't long enough. I had to remove the 1" thick insulation board to make it easier to remove the front clutch and the bag well (only 2 bolts). On my 2017 PTV I didn't have to remove tires, bumper, struts or anything like that. I got to where I could change them out in just a few minutes with my air ratchet.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
brian_tii
Not Yet Wild

You don’t need to remove the primary to replace the belt with the Plowmans kit. I just did it on my 2019 EFI and installed his secondary and his belt. PS - I’d skip messing with the idle set screw under the air box. I had some weird starting issues which so far have been fully resolved by putting that back to stock, plus you don’t get so much engine braking that it makes it easier to drive... plus you maybe less likely to have the air box hit the charcoal canister if you’re lifted.
brian_tii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdavid4 View Post
I just bought a 2020 Yamaha drive2 efi and with a lift and bigger tires it was boggy up hills, so I sent my secondary clutch to Plowman’s for the upgrade. Got it back with instructions to remove the 2 lower rear shock bolts and jack up the bumper to gain access to the primary clutch bolt for removal (all just to install the new drive belt). I have been pulling my hair out for 2 days - i can only assume his instructions referred to a straight axel rear end and I have the independent rear suspension setup. I have tried 5-6 different ways to get at it, so far I was able to remove the battery box and get my impact in there to take the clutch bolt out but there is not enough room to slide the clutch all the way off the shaft. Any advice is appreciated
I just got my kit today actually. In order to get the Primary clutch bolt to clear the frame, I removed the bottom bolts from the shocks and also the bolt on the swing arm (driver side) and jacked it up from the bumper held it in place with jack stands and then took my jack to the driver side and jacked it up further from there. I was able to use an impact wrench to remove the bolt, then use a clutch puller, and slide the primary clutch right off.
Jdk261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
TheAspec
Gone Wild

His instructions must have changed. I did not remove my primary to install the new belt and don't see why you'd need to. Put the belt on the primary, cart in N, roll it onto the secondary, carefully of course as the secondary lip is sharp. Took all of 30 seconds when I did mine.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAspec View Post
His instructions must have changed. I did not remove my primary to install the new belt and don't see why you'd need to. Put the belt on the primary, cart in N, roll it onto the secondary, carefully of course as the secondary lip is sharp. Took all of 30 seconds when I did mine.
In my case I needed to replace the primary because I had the old style primary clutch (my cart is 2012). In any event, since I had to pull it off I found it fairly simple to put the belt around the primary and secondary before putting them on the shafts and then install it as an "assembly". I had an extra set of hands with me, so it went fairly smooth.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Any updates?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
bhague31
Not Yet Wild

Hey man, i'm here in Georgia as well and looking to go with a Ploman's for my 2017 Quietech Drive2 EFI. Spoke with Don this morning and he recommended the extreme kit. I have the 4 rivet clutch so he said that will be trashed to make way for the new kit.

Question - Did you go with the Extreme kit or the performance kit only? Did you have the 4 rivet or 6 rivet? If any chance you get 5 minutes to discuss on the phone - I'd like to hear how you are liking the upgrade
bhague31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, drive, drive2, efi, plowman’s
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha