lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Question Winch Recommendations?

Thinking about putting an ATV winch on the front of one of my Club Car DS golf carts. Anyone have any recommendations? Any pitfalls, tips, or things to avoid? I'm thinking a 2000lb rating would be enough.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Winch Recommendations?

Depends on how often you plan to use it. If it's an all the time kind of thing, then pay the extra $$$ for Warn, hands down no questions. There's a reason they cost more, but in 15 years it'll still be going as strong as it does today.

If it's just once in a while if you happen to get in a pinch, the harbor freight winch is pretty decent and a lot cheaper. It'll get the job done just fine. It's no Warn and you'll probably have to replace it every 2-5 years (depending on how often you use it and how hard it's worked when you do use it) but at around $60 it's a good bang for your buck option.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah it won’t be used all the time. I rarely get stuck. Just looking for extra trail insurance, and the lift kit on my ‘90 left a large gap between the front bumper and the low part of the front cowl, and a winch would fill that gap nicely, and look cool.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Yeah it won’t be used all the time. I rarely get stuck. Just looking for extra trail insurance, and the lift kit on my ‘90 left a large gap between the front bumper and the low part of the front cowl, and a winch would fill that gap nicely, and look cool.
Exactly the same reason I left the winch on this one: thumbup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191104_164114.jpg (626.2 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Warn. I have one on the front and rear. I hunt a lot in good and bad weather and on trails....good 'n bad.

If you want quality it cost. But check even the Warn winch specifications as they make winch's with metal gears and some with synthetic gears. You want metal. (IMHO)

I use my Warn 2500 (they no long make this model) every time I load my cart on the back of my truck. That.....plus pull deer outta the woods and if I get stuck.....pull me outta the muck.

On the rear I have a Warn 3000-S (they no longer make this model either) but the 3000-S has synthetic gears. After two years of use the synthetic gears went "south" but Warn covered it under warranty.

After the 3000-S tanked out I went back to putting the 2500 on the front as the workhorse.

Again....JMHO.....you want metal planetary gears for durability.

If it's gonna be an occasional use thing.....you could get away with a lower priced winch.

Edit: I was perusing Warn's web site and came across this new model VRX 25. It has the same 2500-lb weight rating as my older model 2500 and the price seems very reasonable. All metal and all metal gears. I didn't price shop it but for $240 it seems like a good price point. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/warn...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah I've always regarded Warn as the gold standard. I'm considering the VRX25. I work for a retailer that sells these and do get a pretty decent company discount.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've had the same Warn 2000 on three different carts now and it has never failed me in any way.
tomakazi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, gas, weight, winch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car