lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2002 club car ds iq problem - controller?

My Club Car DS IQ was surging then just stopping, sometimes surging backward while switch was in forward position. I found a thread about jumping the two wires on the MCOR to test it, and now the solenoid is no longer energizing.

I used this troubleshooting guide http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/Club%2...leshooting.pdf
and everything checked out until page 16, where it reads to make sure the blue white wire on solenoid is pulled low. I checked continuity to battery pack negative and there was no continuity. To make sure that I was on the right track, I disconnected the blu/wht wire from solenoid, and ran a jumper wire to that point from battery pack negative. When I turned on key switch, solenoid energized, and when I pressed the pedal the wheels started to spin as normal. Could my symptoms have been that the controller was starting to fail and then did fail? I didn't see any more instructions to check the MCOR or even see the MCOR in the schematics in the troubleshooting guide.
Thanks
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
YonaUsti
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 club car ds iq problem - controller?

...following....
YonaUsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

if you got the cart running, then the controller isn't bad. I don't think cart will run without the controller working.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
if you got the cart running, then the controller isn't bad. I don't think cart will run without the controller working.
OK, Thanks. Yes, I did get it to run, but only by running a jumper wire from battery negative to the solenoid. According to the troubleshooting guide I used, the ground is/should be supplied by the blu/wht wire from the controller. I was just hoping that someone that is familiar with these carts could confirm my assumption, or point me in another direction, or let me know if the MCOR could still be the culprit.

My daughters had just got the cart 'hung up' or 'bottomed out' and had to push it off of a dirt pile, when the symptoms started. They told me it might be something underneath the cart that was damaged.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In an IQ cart the controller does the high amperage switching for F&R. The signal to switch comes from the rocker switch below the seat... Question might be is the rocker switch sending goofy signal or is the controller bonkers.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, Thanks Scottyb, I followed the troubleshooting guide, and it is looking like it might be the controller, but I will run through all that again this weekend.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It may need to be scanned with a handheld to be sure. You may have a "MAIN DRIVER OFF" Fault in the controller, which means it is incapable of controlling the solenoid. The solenoid driver fails and causes this fault. Usually from a bad coil suppression diode on the solenoid. This would explain the cart running when you jumped the solenoid manually. Sounds like a good time to.upgrade.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:52 AM   #8
Predataber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Where can I find this troubleshooting guide? I have a 2004 DS that click on the press, has new Trojans, and a new motor (from troubleshooting) and it beeps when you push it.
Predataber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predataber View Post
Where can I find this troubleshooting guide? I have a 2004 DS that click on the press, has new Trojans, and a new motor (from troubleshooting) and it beeps when you push it.
Looks like there is a link in the first post.
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Dead link now though.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car