lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lighting question

My golf cart has front and rear lights the previous owner had wired into a single battery.

I know from the forum, the lights should be wired into 2 batteries or 12 volts. And better yet, to put in a voltage reducer from 36v down to 12v...

Questions

1) my lights were not very bright... Could this be because they were wired into 1 battery?

2) the wiring to the lights look like a big mess...seems the wiring is real small that runs from the battery to the actual lights...not sure what that gauge is. Could this wiring cause a lot of heat on the terminal and cause a terminal melt down? Don't know if I want to hook the lights back up to my new battery pack without knowing if this can generate a lot of heat or problems?

Thx

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lighting question

1. Yes. Or at least there aren't many lighting fixtures out there these days that operate on 6V.

2. Probably not. The small gauge wires to the lights might be too small for the amps the lights draw, but the insulation would probably melt off the small wire before enough heat was generated to melt the battery terminal.

On the other hand, if the ring terminals on the battery terminal were stacked in the wrong order, they might have created a bad connection for the high current cable that is also connected to the battery terminal.

The correct stacking order is the heaviest cable goes on first, than the smaller stuff.

When you have 12V accessories, it is best to have a completely separate 12V battery so the main batteries are not used at all by the accessories. Second best is to have a 36V to 12V reducer, so all six batteries are discharged equally by the 12V accessories.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Previous owner did have the lighting wires without ring terminals and just wrapped around the post with the heavy wire on top. I know now that is not a good thing and probably contributed to the melting terminal problems with this cart.

As for having a separate 12 Volt battery for accessories... How would you charge it? Would you just have a separate charger and hook it up as needed?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lighting question

Wires without ring terminals could definitely be a contributing factor.
He probably over-tightened the nuts on the battery studs also.
I'd redo all the wiring he put in, or at least check it thoroughly.

As for charging the separate 12V battery, you'll need to charge it as needed with a 12V charger of some kind.

How big the 12V battery needs to be depends of how many amps the 12V accessories draw and how often they are used.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO