lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
grayghost
Not Yet Wild

Default melting f/r controler

I need to pick all the great brains here. I have a 91 marathon it has a 4" lift and used off road. It has a 400 amp Alltrax controller, a high torque motor, #4
wires. After about 10 or 15 minutes of slow driving the forward wires to the f/r controller will get hot and melted the contacts thru the plastic base. All connections are tight and new wires, I talked to Alltrax tech support they said new wires or dirty brushes in motor. I have replaced wires and cleaned brushes still gets hot. Any help would be appreciated.
grayghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: melting f/r controler

Welcome to BGW
I would not suggest this combination of components. Here's why:
Hi torque motor = requires 500- 700 amp control
Hi Torque motor = Requires 2 g cable set
Hi Torque motor = requires HD F&R or better yet, Super duty reversing contactor.

Slow operation keeps the big tired high torque cart in high amperage draw... try going faster for less heat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
grayghost
Not Yet Wild

I have what ezgo calls a beefed up f/r. What is the super duty reversing contactor?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

cartsunlimited.net You can see them and read up about them there until he posts his much better explanation than mine.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The directional selection switch in these series carts hasn't changed much (if any) in about 40 years - it's true They are a rotary device where 1 half of the contacts are stationary and the other half rotate using friction contact.

The reversing contactor is a pair of electromagnetic solenoids that make and break these same connections. Go here for more information > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/reversing-contactors.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (181.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
grayghost
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Scottyb. I went to your web site some very good info there. I will be doing some serious upgrades to my ezgo. I will get in touch with you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO