lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Passkey 48v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Yes it can be done with the passkey and the programmer. The only way to not use a passkey, is have the developer level program.
Spot on

If you don't have access to someone with a Development level programmer, you can use the passkey to toggle Freedom Mode, and use a handset to max your speed in that mode. Just be forwarned that the passkey also locks some high level parameters that prevent some future performance parameters from being set. Not a big deal unless you intend to drag race your cart. With the aforementioned Development level programmer, those locks can be toggled off as well, so...

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mockup1.jpg (4.8 KB, 0 views)
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #22
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Your project is looking good Bob!
Scoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #23
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob and Scoots. To recap my understanding so far I believe there are 3 different things being discussed (some info from other threads):

1) Just toggle freedom mode with passkey (I'm gathering this is ~$90 item versus $8 jumper wire for some older models). This option gets you 16-17mph??. This mode locks other features that don't really matter unless one is wanting to go nuts...

2) Use handheld programmer (not developer mode) to push freedom mode to maximum. This option gets you 18-20mph??

3) Use developer mode on PC programmer station (PC SW + homebrew cable + special bit toggles to get developer mode) to get the before mentioned locked options unlocked (toggled) if desired. I'm not sure what this does for speed/torque.

Is this correct so far?
JR_ECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_ECE View Post
Thanks Bob and Scoots. To recap my understanding so far I believe there are 3 different things being discussed (some info from other threads):

1) Just toggle freedom mode with passkey (I'm gathering this is ~$90 item versus $8 jumper wire for some older models). This option gets you 16-17mph??. This mode locks other features that don't really matter unless one is wanting to go nuts...

2) Use handheld programmer (not developer mode) to push freedom mode to maximum. This option gets you 18-20mph??

3) Use developer mode on PC programmer station (PC SW + homebrew cable + special bit toggles to get developer mode) to get the before mentioned locked options unlocked (toggled) if desired. I'm not sure what this does for speed/torque.

Is this correct so far?
You got it.

The parameters that get locked are related to performance above and beyond normal Golf Cart duty. There are some intelligent algorythms that control maximum current based upon settings in E-Z-GOs VCL (Vehicle Control Language). Those parameters limit performance to well below the maximum capabilities (maximum continuous and peak currents) that the controller is actually rated for. In other words, in order to prevent damage from "hot dogging" a golf cart which could result in what could likely be warranty-covered repairs (since max controller current is not actually exceeded), they intentionally play it safe. They allow some latitude, but not much. The higher the speed is set to, the more current limiting they apply. This is to compensate for increased motor operating temperatures at higher speeds.

When Freedom Mode is toggled, the algorythms get reset to the most conservative values, regardless of speed, then the parameters containing those values are locked. This is a good thing for someone that does not know what they are doing and does not "play it safe" with controller current, or motor and controller temperatures.

For someone that wants to be able run along the very edge of performance, and pays attention to the operating parameters of their cart, these parameters limit performance. If you want to be able to pull wheelies with a stock controller and a full load of lead/acid batteries, you can get do that by tweaking the parameters that limit performance. This does not prevent the controller from limiting its maximum current, but only allows it to go up to the maximum as programmed by Curtis. Even that limit can be programmed away, but I do not recommend it.

When drag racing, you intentionally overdrive the motor to get a LOT more torque. But you only overdrive it for a matter of seconds, not minutes. Electric vehicles can beat fueled vehicles on the drag strip for this reason. They only need short bursts of being greatly overdriven.

I hope this helps to explain exactly what it being locked, and why.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #25
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob. Very well explained.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

New/additional questions and/or comments occurred to me after sleeping on it.

As stated previously, it's my understanding the ~$8 jumper wire passkey will not enable freedom mode with a 2012 EZGO since this model has to the ~$90 passkey. Does anyone know what the ~$8 jumper wire version will do?

Secondly, would an OEM mode PC programmer allow for setting to maximum speed in place of the handheld programmer? Would still need the ~$90 passkey. Seems like it should.

Thirdly, would a developer mode PC programmer allow for enabling freedom mode and setting maximum speed without a ~$90 passkey to enable freedom mode? Seems like it should.

The hard part appears in getting a developer mode.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Your 2012 does not have the port under the dash that will except the $8 jumper for speed, it's all in the control box.

I'm still new on that, and waiting for my pc programmer to show up, but it should on both, just depends on the level programmer you get. I've seen you can get a OEM pc or handheld.

Yes the developer model is the king of all programmers (pc only). If you had developer model, you would not need a passkey, as that model can turn on and off the freedom mode in the program itself.

If your looking to purchase all this, you are going to need the programmer and the passkey to get it done quickly, until you can stumble upon the developer version, which isn't easy to find. Once you have the developer version, you will not need a passkey anymore.

I have 3 carts that I'm needing to speed up, so I'm getting the pc programmer and ordering the expensive 20 cart passkey.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
Your 2012 does not have the port under the dash that will except the $8 jumper for speed, it's all in the control box.

I'm still new on that, and waiting for my pc programmer to show up, but it should on both, just depends on the level programmer you get. I've seen you can get a OEM pc or handheld.

Yes the developer model is the king of all programmers (pc only). If you had developer model, you would not need a passkey, as that model can turn on and off the freedom mode in the program itself.

If your looking to purchase all this, you are going to need the programmer and the passkey to get it done quickly, until you can stumble upon the developer version, which isn't easy to find. Once you have the developer version, you will not need a passkey anymore.

I have 3 carts that I'm needing to speed up, so I'm getting the pc programmer and ordering the expensive 20 cart passkey.

There is a 20% off going on right now.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #29
Scoots
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
[/COLOR]

There is a 20% off going on right now.

Awesome!! Where? Ezgo's
Old 09-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #30
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes!
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom mode, passkey, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO