lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Fooling an XCT?

Here's the issue. Through testing I have concluded that I can not drive at full speed for more than two miles. This is due to the extreme heat that builds in the motor. My wife would like to be able to go on the cart to our son's house about ten miles away. It is all back roads that are pretty farm country. All legal issues aside, I'm thinking at a reduced speed (15-18mph), I could make the trip without melting the motor.

My first question, have you guys done this? When playing golf, you stop every hole and let the motor cool. But I'm talking about almost non stop ten mile trip.

The second question, it would be nice if I could just put the pedal on the floor and have the cart go only 18mph. I know I could reprogram the max rpm. But I would like to easily go faster if needed. I was thinking maybe there would be some way to put a switch in the speed sensor line that would fool the controller into thinking I'm at max rpm.

That way I could just switch it and have full speed back in a moments notice.

Does this sound possible?

My other though is some kind of block that I could stick behind the pedal. The only problem with that is the cart would slow down on hills. (My cart can easily maintain 18 mph up a hill with all the throttle)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Fooling an XCT?

I know Alltrax is working on a switch the user modes on the fly for the Ezgo line but I don't think it is available yet. It is in the Yamaha Drives but I don't think any others.. How many volts and amps are we talking about ? And You could just lift your foot..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And You could just lift your foot..
You would think, LOL.

My cart is pretty powerful. In effort to make it more controllable at low speeds (0-15 mph), I set the controller up so there's a lot of pedal travail at those speeds. The result is above those speeds, it is in turbo boost. LOL.

I hope alltrax comes up with something. I may just limit the speed to about 20 and see how that is. I really don't need more than that.

It's funny, my wife has a Corvette. The pedal travails about the same distance as my cart. The car goes from 0-200 mph. My cart goes from 0-30. The car does not "jump" when you move the pedal an inch. Why does the cart?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Probably the throttle curve on the cart. Break out the laptop and hook it up then take it for a ride.. Tweak as needed..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

That's what I did to get it like this. Before I couldn't hardly start without popping a wheely. It's not so hard on your neck when the "turbo boost" comes in at 12-15 mph. But to try to hold a constant 18 mph would be very difficult.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I ran my XCT for a few days without a speed sensor connected and the field only weakened to 5.9A.

When I got the speed sensor wired up, the field would weaken to 2.2A (Below max recommended field weakening of 3A)

Both of those were with Field map "EZPDS" loaded and after I loaded the field map specifically for my motor, the field weakening now can drop to 1.0A. (Way below max recommended field weakening of 3A.)

I don't know if unplugging the speed sensor will set off any alarms or how much it will reduce the top speed, but I'm pretty sure the motor will run cooler.

Try running cart with the speed sensor unplugged at the XCT and if the results are satisfactory, insert a switch into the signal wire from the speed sensor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I ran my XCT for a few days without a speed sensor connected and the field only weakened to 5.9A.

When I got the speed sensor wired up, the field would weaken to 2.2A (Below max recommended field weakening of 3A)

Both of those were with Field map "EZPDS" loaded and after I loaded the field map specifically for my motor, the field weakening now can drop to 1.0A. (Way below max recommended field weakening of 3A.)

I don't know if unplugging the speed sensor will set off any alarms or how much it will reduce the top speed, but I'm pretty sure the motor will run cooler.

Try running cart with the speed sensor unplugged at the XCT and if the results are satisfactory, insert a switch into the signal wire from the speed sensor.

PM sent
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

oh oh :)
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Sounds interesting. I did run mine with the sensor unplugged at 36 V one time. It was really slow. I've never tried it since converting to 48V. If it's still too slow, I wonder if there could be a resistor inserted somehow that could get where I want.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO