lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
kersey1999
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo Electric Transaxle issues

Hey guys,

I bought the boys a golf cart last Christmas for use in the neighborhood and it has started making a noise in the rear end. Older son and I topped off fluid level, next thing I know he is being dropped by a neighbor claiming it won't go. It is a 2005 model and I believe it is a TXT. I need to verify, anyways we pulled the pumpkin cover off and it seems to me as all the smaller bevel gears are loose. Is this common or should there be very little play much like that of a car? There is a little back lash in the drive gear to the motor, but much more in these smaller bevel gears, and there seems to be a little play on the splines to the axles? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
kersey1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Electric Transaxle issues

Bad bearings? Welded to the shaft? Stuck brake?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
kersey1999
Not Yet Wild

Brakes are ok, bearings seem to be fine and spin really free, two on the pumpkin came right off. Nothing seems to be locked up, that's why I am inquiring about movement on the bevel gears. Lots of play in there.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check for a stripped hub at the wheels.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
kersey1999
Not Yet Wild

On the drivers side there is a hub that has two bolts and a half collar! Both bolts were loose and one actually fell out while disassembling. Could that be the culprit? Is that providing the looseness and lose of motion?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey1999 View Post
On the drivers side there is a hub that has two bolts and a half collar! Both bolts were loose and one actually fell out while disassembling. Could that be the culprit? Is that providing the looseness and lose of motion?
that doesnt sound like correct parts... maybe some sort of rig-job, anyway dont sound right. but as far as the gear lash & play in the axle, some is totally normal. there is no lash adjustment like there is in a car to tighten it up. everything slips into bored holes, or bolts at the bearing caps for the carrier. the way it fits from the factory is the way it will be forever. have you slipped the motor off the axle input shaft to inspect, add grease, and bumper if not present? that is a commonly missed maintainence item.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #7
kersey1999
Not Yet Wild

No I have not but was lying in bed last night and thought of the motor and drive alignment. Does anyone have the procedure for putting all this back together. I am certain I can put it back in, if there is a sequence or some fashion or should I say method to the madness I would greatly appreciate any guidance.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

These may help.

The older manual covers the trans-axle in your cart, or is close to it. There weren't many significant changes over the years.

The newer manual is for an RXV which has a limited slip differential gear cluster and no mechanical brakes, but has clearer pictures.

This is a link to a thread that shows numerous pictures of innards: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post658807

As mentioned, there is no backlash adjustment, so there can be quite a bit of play when you rock the cart back and forth.

The half collars hold the differential gear cluster's bearings in place, so with one (or both) of them being loose, the cluster might have dropped enough for the teeth of the ring gear to become disengaged from the teeth of the intermediate gears. If that happened and your son heard a lot of noise, there might be some damage on the ring gear and/or the intermediate gear it meshes with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dana Axle Repair & Parts Manual.pdf (3.56 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf dana electric transaxle,2008,610987-A.pdf (1.69 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Could we see a pic of the 2 piece hub you are asking us about?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
kersey1999
Not Yet Wild

I will send one shortly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO