lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
firefighter1868
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v series cart wont run.

Just bought a 36v series cart from an elder man. He put new Trojan batteries in it at the end of 2015. His grandson had been riding it when it quit. Brought it home and made sure it was charged. It doesn't have the run tow switch. Started trouble shooting it today after a bath to get all the mud off of it. Appears it was being used as a mud bogging machine when it quit. I was checking volts and with the key off and nothing on I'm getting 36v on both sides of the solenoid. The solenoid was just replaced before I got it but there's not writing on it so I'm not for sure if it's even a 36v solenoid. Where do I start?
firefighter1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v series cart wont run.

Welcome to BGW
No worries, the precharge resistor will give 36v reading on both sides of the solenoid at all times.

What is the battery pack voltage?

Does the solenoid click when you try to go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
firefighter1868
Not Yet Wild

Battery pack percentage is 36.9v. Solenoid doesn't click. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1868 View Post
Battery pack percentage is 36.9v. Solenoid doesn't click. Thanks for the quick response.
firefighter....your pack is nearly dead at 36.9v. a FULLY charge pack is 38.3v you REALLY need to charge up your pack, and keep it charged whenever/after you use it every time.

JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG

with the key ON and when you start to push on the "gas", the solenoid should CLICK (ACTIVATE) if it doesn't you need to look at the solenoid activation circuit. that's the drawing below, the circuit is highlighted.

Wiring Diagram Series with Solenoid Activation Traced.JPG

but before you get started on that....you mentioned that the "KIDS" have been mud bogging......remove the floor matt and you will find a removable access cover (its about 5 or 6" square) below it is the ITS, its not watertight and might have gotten water/mud in it, causing the cart to stop running. remove its cover (4 screws) . clean/dry it out....you can use a hairdryer if need be. those are good starting points.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
firefighter1868
Not Yet Wild

Okay so voltage leaves the batteries and the goes to the ignition interlock. The goes to the foward (or reverse) switch. Then leaves there and goes to the key switch. Than leaves there and goes through the pedal bow and then on to the solenoid. This is all 36v on the series cart right. 36v goes through everything I just mentioned but when the solenoid is activate it let the amps rip to the motor. I'm pretty good at electrical because it's what I do. But, these carts don't run on 480 v 3 phase lol.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So you probably already know the path yo described is the (+) side of the circuit and it takes + and - at the small solenoid terminals to activate the internal coil and draw the contact closed (click). Typically the (-) side comes from the solenoid.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sir nuke is correct on the pack voltage being low(nearly dead)

I am currently recuperating the batteries in the one I did back of this as my sales buddy let the pack drain and didn't charge it for a month or so before letting me know I just hope it didn't ruin a battery due to that(not fun!)
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1868 View Post
think of a 36v cart as a 38v cart...low voltage(36v)can cause all kinds of strange symptoms,so get that pack up before you troubleshoot further....also-on a cart NEVER ground anything to the frame.... good luck
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
firefighter1868
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I didn't know about grounding to the frame. I'll make sure everything is grounded the the battery. Carts are a whole different world but hey, I love to learn these things and with you guy knowledge I know I can get her going again. Maybe the batteries aren't shot. I know it's got Trojan 105s in it and their pricey. I'm not into a lot of speed but I like the torque.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
firefighter1868
Not Yet Wild

Okay so another obstacle. The batteries were not charging. The white wire coming from the charging port was almost into. I bought another terminal, crumpled it and soldered (my ocd) it and put it back on after cleaning all the battery connections and putting battery protector on them. Now when I put the battery charger on and had my flute on it started at 37v and kept climbing so that's a good sign. I had cleaned everything before but didn't have the cleaner and protector so I took the time and redone all of them. This just may of been the whole problem from the beginning. If it is I've gotten one heck of a deal on a good cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO