lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2016, 05:43 AM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Carts Unlimited Switchable Voltage Reducer install

Something is off in your calculation, a 47kΩ resistor would limit the current at less than 1ma.

Assuming the switch Led circuit is designed for 12v operation (built in resistor already), you just need to calculate the resistor that will provide the appropriate voltage drop at the desired current.

For a battery pack of 50v and 20ma Led current:
Resistor voltage = 50v - 12v = 38v
Resistor Value = 38v/20ma = 1900Ω
Resistor Power = 38v x 20ma = 0.76w
Best commercial value = 2kΩ 2Watt 5% Resistor
If You don't want as bright of a light, use 10ma Led current:
Resistor voltage = 50v - 12v = 38v
Resistor Value = 38v/10ma = 3800Ω
Resistor Power = 38v x 10ma = 0.38w
Best commercial value = 3.9kΩ 1Watt 5% Resistor
As mentioned, the resistor goes on the negative wire of the switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #22
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I find really bright LEDs on the dash aiming at my eyes quite annoying at night, so I want them much dimmer than 20 mA or even 10mA provides. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I did not do the calcs, don't need to in order to determine what value works best for my eyes at night. LOL
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonjet View Post
I couldn't get anybody here to answer that so I will tell you what I did in my RXV. If you wire it per the switch instructions and Scotty's diagram the LED switch will overheat. Mine was to hot to touch in seconds because it had 48V going thru it. (it is a 30amp 12V rocker with LED)
What I ended up doing was wiring just the power wire to the switch and the Yellow wire from the reducer to the accessory tab on the switch. I did not run the ground wire from the switch. Doing that has the switch working as it should, turning the reducer/accessories on and off but the LED On the switch does not light.

If you end up getting the LED to work on the switch please update this thread.
Sergio check me here please but- I'm pretty sure the OP can get the 12v switch LED to work by connecting his switch light 'ground' wire to the neg on the first battery. Check this with your meter OP, there should be 12v between where the switch gets it's power and the neg post on the same 12v battery. Hope this makes sense, dunno if I explained it well enough?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scottyb, you are right, it should work fine if the negative is on the same 12v battery where You are getting the +48v.

I would suggest in this case using a different color wire so not to be confused with "negative" since this wire would be always hot +36v.

I don't like lights on my dash that face the driver either, but I thought showing step by step calculations takes the mystery out of the wiring.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solution was so simple it took days to think of it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #26
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

VonJet. Why not just wire the yellow wire directly to the switched side of the solenoid? Then when you turn the key on, you have the reducer powered up and when you turn the key off, the power to the reducer shuts off?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #27
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

For those of you that know electronics this all may just seem as pretty dumb stuff. I have absolutely no experience with golf cart wiring and trying to learn. I do pretty well if I can follow a diagram but outside of that I get lost.
Then couple that with all the of posts about how sensitive the RXV electronics are.....fried this, fried that. I hope you all can understand why I do not want to try anything before asking.
I am sorry if some of the responses seem obvious but to me they aren't and I appreciate all the help you all have posted.
I did think of posting the switch negative to the same negative battery post as the power is on positive to solve it but then that battery is chained to rest of them so I wasn't sure. Will try that
vonjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #28
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
VonJet. Why not just wire the yellow wire directly to the switched side of the solenoid? Then when you turn the key on, you have the reducer powered up and when you turn the key off, the power to the reducer shuts off?
What side is the switched side of the Solenoid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9030.JPG (105.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Rabbit is right on. Connect the Yellow to the KS side of the solenoid coil and you should be good to go. You can identify that terminal with your voltmeter.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #30
vonjet
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Rabbit is right on. Connect the Yellow to the KS side of the solenoid coil and you should be good to go. You can identify that terminal with your voltmeter.
This would be easy and convenient, but I think the separate switch would be better for me. That way I don't have to leave my cart key on if I have it parked and want to listen to the stereo, which I do a lot. I got the LED working on my switch too so all is good on my set up now. But for future if I ever decide to go with a Key switched set up now I know how.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO