lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Jfitz83
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 TXT Model Questions.

I have been lurking for the past few days and have already learned a lot more then I ever thought I would. I had no intentions of starting a new addiction but oh well!

I am the sales manager of a powersports dealership and we recently traded for the cart in the title. I was able to purchase the rig for what I feel was a great price. However I do have some questions I am hoping the gurus can help me with. Just some back ground I have not loaded tested the batteries myself however one of my techs with some EV knowledge gave them the thumbs up. FYI this is a 36v series model for future reference. The previous owner did add a Jake's lift kit as well as 22in tires as he used it for a hunting buggy. The batteries and other accessories were done two years ago so the previous owner claims.

My main question at the time being is the cart is only hitting 10mph on flat level ground. I am just curious if this is not out of the norm for a stock cart with 22in tires. I do plan to do some upgrades as time and money will allow namely the F&R switch and going to a set of 4g cables. I did notice last night one of the cables to the F&R felt warmer then the others and had some charring around the contact post. I plan to order a HD switch soon, I had planned to spend some time this weekend cleaning up the batteries terminals and the cable ends to see if that helps at all. The speed doesn't concern me all that much if that seems to be about what to expect in the current state of the cart, it would be nice to eventually get it up to 15mph but I don't see much need to go faster then that in my neighborhood.

My plans for the time being is to remain as close to stock as I can and upgrade what I need for the time being. I would like to eventually go to a 48v conversion etc.

Thanks in advance for any help and I am excited to be a part of this awesome community!

James
Jfitz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 TXT Model Questions.

Take some pictures of what is under the seat so we can help more. Specifically we need to see what controller is in there.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Jfitz83
Not Yet Wild

I will certainly take some pictures this evening when I get home. I unfortunately did not ask all right questions it now appears. Of course at the time I had no intentions of purchasing this for myself lol. Motorcycles or Gas powered UTV's I am all over it these electric carts are new to me for sure!

James
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I sounds to me like the cart is woefully under powered. Batteries may not have deserved that thumbs up? Can we 2 reading from your tech?
1. pack voltage 12-24 hours after a charge. (just let the cart sit)
2. lowest pack voltage reading seen under heavy acceleration. (preferably going uphill if you have one)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Jfitz83
Not Yet Wild

Scotty I will take some measurements when I get home tonight. I will update with the info!

James
Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Jfitz83
Not Yet Wild

Well we have some weather in our area so I'm unable to test under load. I had fully charged the cart Tuesday night and have not charged since then. I went a head and tested each battery three showed 6.28 two 6.20 and one 6.18 total pack 37.42. I did go ahead and plug the charger in and it did click on to charge I plan to load test tomorrow afternoon.

Any thoughts from the gurus?

James
Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
Jfitz83
Not Yet Wild

The weather did clear up some tonight so I did attempt a load test however I need to buy a set of alligator leads tomorrow. Anyway wife and I ended up making a loop of the neighborhood maybe less than a mile. When we got back I lifted the seat and smelled something hot, pulled cover on F&R switch I will let the picture speak for its self. Looks like I need to order switch ASAP.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (180.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:38 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Ouch, just barely made it home. I have seen that result in fire, be careful.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

get te reversing contactor from Scotty, it's a little more expensive than a HD F&R switch but it is easier to operate and will last a lifetime...

Good catch on the F&R though, that could have been BAD if it continued.

On a side note, 37.2 is a little low for a cart that just came off a charge.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Another note, low or weak batteries drop voltage under load. Since the motor is still trying to do the same work with less voltage it draws additional amperage to make up for lost voltage...(ohms law) The resulting increase in amperage flow will result in higher operating temperatures and could have contributed significantly to this meltdown.

Additionally you need upgrade that cable set.....and get new batteries.
Attached is the battery health and care chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (96.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO