lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Big Auggie
Not Yet Wild

Default Sticky Brakes

My brakes are sticking. When I apply the brakes I have to pull the pedal back up by hand. Are these carts noted for the brake cables getting bad?
Big Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Sticky Brakes

hello,

not really known for that, as all carts brake cables will go bad. it depends on what kind of EZGO you have. Is it a TXT, RXV, marathon/medalist???

steve
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Typical cause of that is rust on the pivot bolt for the brake pedal. grab 2 wrenches, get under the cart, spray the pivot bolt with some form of lube (PB, WD40, Lucas), loosen the bolt slightly (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn of the nut), then place the wrench on the bolt head side of the pivot bolt and work the bolt back and forth until it frees up and the pedal springs back like normal.

Happens to a lot of EZGO's that are near wet environments.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The brake cables are inside a metal sheathing, just like a bicycle. That sheathing gets dried out and rusts up inside causing the cables to bind. You may be able to lube them and free them up, or replace them with new ones pretty cheap.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Big Auggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
hello,

not really known for that, as all carts brake cables will go bad. it depends on what kind of EZGO you have. Is it a TXT, RXV, marathon/medalist???

steve

It's a 95 EZGO TEXTRON. I'll check the cables before I tear into the brake drums.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Big Auggie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Typical cause of that is rust on the pivot bolt for the brake pedal. grab 2 wrenches, get under the cart, spray the pivot bolt with some form of lube (PB, WD40, Lucas), loosen the bolt slightly (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn of the nut), then place the wrench on the bolt head side of the pivot bolt and work the bolt back and forth until it frees up and the pedal springs back like normal.

Happens to a lot of EZGO's that are near wet environments.
I'll start there before I check the cables then. Thanks
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
Big Auggie
Not Yet Wild

Finally got a chance to check it out and it is the pivot bolt. Brought the nut out to the end of the bolt so I could beat on the bolt w/o ruining the bolt threads. So far it hasn't budged, but the pedal does pivot freely with the nut loosened up because the bolt rotates with the pedal. May just call it good.

Why the cart engineers didn't think a grease fitting was needed here is beyond comprehension.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 AM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Auggie View Post
Finally got a chance to check it out and it is the pivot bolt. Brought the nut out to the end of the bolt so I could beat on the bolt w/o ruining the bolt threads. So far it hasn't budged, but the pedal does pivot freely with the nut loosened up because the bolt rotates with the pedal. May just call it good.

Why the cart engineers didn't think a grease fitting was needed here is beyond comprehension.

Lube it during a service and there will be no issues.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO