lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #31
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV fault and rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalan View Post
Hi Bob and all,
I am going to list here all the information I have gathered from the hand held readouts. I am only listing the content that gave a readout, anything that reads 0, I have left out.
From the Fault counter sub heading; Main contactor did not close 5,Brake wiper3,HPD Sequencing fault 4, Undervoltage cutback 34, controller overcurrent 11,Motor temp faults 1, Stall detected/Enconder Fault 14,EM Brake failed to set 8, Main coil missing 76, EM Brake test failed 8, Throttle zero check 1, Supervisors comms 1,

From the Fault counter Hour meter ; Main contactor did not close 0.4, Throttle wiper 0.3, Brake wiper 0.3 HPD Sequencing fault 0.4, Undervoltage cutback 0.3,Controller overcurrent 0.3, Motor temp fault 0.3, Stall detected/Enconder fail 0.4, E M Brake failed to set 0.4 , EM brake coil missing 0.3, Main coil missing 0.3, EM Brake test failed 0.4, Throttle zero check 0.4 , Supervisor comms 0.3 .
Under the Input heading ; Brake command reads 0-100% on depressing the brake pedal. On the Output heading; EM Brake PWM reads 0% on depressing the pedal.

I hope this makes some sense to those that have helped me so far?
As I write I am going to carry on "playing with the Hand Held" to see if I can find a pattern to track this fault down.

Thanks again .

Mcalan
Wow! What a list. From what I can see, you had a grocery list of errors at 0.3 hours that have been logged and are no longer an issue. These were likely caused by your testing, so they are mostly to be ignored in progressing onward.

It looks like the HPD Sequencing Fault is being initiated by a Throttle Zero check error. From that point, it's looking like the EM Brake output is being kept turned off, resulting in further motor brake related errors. The Main Contactor failed to close would indicate a bad solenoid, as the Main Coil Missing error count ceased at 0.3 hours. yet the Main Contactor failed to close count continued to 0.4 hours. This signals that the internal controller sensor monitoring the solenoid coil is sensing the coil as being there and operating, but the contacts are not closing to allow power to flow from the batteries to B+.

In short, take a meter to the controller B+ and check that when the solenoid clicks on, that full battery voltage appears on that terminal. Also, check again the reliabillity of the throttle zero switch closure. Also, read the current hour clock and see if it has passed beyond the 0.4 hour setting.

In short, I wish I were there to assist you in this endeavor.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #32
mcalan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Many thanks Bob,
It may be a relief to you that I have to take a short break from this project for a few days.
As soon as I can I will take up your input and advice. I am determined to cure this with your help. As it has been running I am sure it can be sorted.
Many thanks for now.
mcalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #33
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Many thanks Bob,
It may be a relief to you that I have to take a short break from this project for a few days.
As soon as I can I will take up your input and advice. I am determined to cure this with your help. As it has been running I am sure it can be sorted.
Many thanks for now.
Not a problem. Whenever you are ready to resume, I am here to help.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #34
mcalan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi to Bob Boyce ,CG and all,

After a long lay off and getting not very far, I ran out of idea's and put the buggie into the hands of the local EZGO agent. I have received this on my 2011 RXV. They have so far spent three hours on my machine.

"Wiring checked and changed solenoid to 2012 spec. Start up sequence initiated.1/4 turn in each direction not present. Electrical test on motor OK (Fault mechanical)?
Power to brake ok. Able to push buggie when turned on in Forward (should not be able to do this). Recommend trying a good known motor".

I have not yet had a conversation with the Tech on the above but I have just about had it on this project.
I have re done the loom ala Bob Boyce and his kindly guidence. A new Curtis controller and what was I thought the right solenoid along with a new Motor brake.
Even with having aquired a nice new shiny hand held diagnostic tool,has not allowed me,of limited electical skills to work this one out?
I just cannot afford the time and more expense of getting a new motor now to find that I still have a "lemon" sitting in my garage.
The other thing is I am moving out to Canada at the end of summer so I will be leaving this "dud" behind now.

For anyone reading this in the UK, I would advise you NOT to go near anything RXV like the plague. If like me you thought fixing up a buggie would be a good project ,try another type, would be my advice!

Seems like I am going to have to give this one up for sale as spares and admit defeat!

Many thanks to all those who have attempted to help and assist ,(Bob) for instance.

Regards to all (for now)

Mcalan
mcalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #35
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi to Bob Boyce ,CG and all,

After a long lay off and getting not very far, I ran out of idea's and put the buggie into the hands of the local EZGO agent. I have received this on my 2011 RXV. They have so far spent three hours on my machine.

"Wiring checked and changed solenoid to 2012 spec. Start up sequence initiated.1/4 turn in each direction not present. Electrical test on motor OK (Fault mechanical)?
Power to brake ok. Able to push buggie when turned on in Forward (should not be able to do this). Recommend trying a good known motor".

I have not yet had a conversation with the Tech on the above but I have just about had it on this project.
I have re done the loom ala Bob Boyce and his kindly guidence. A new Curtis controller and what was I thought the right solenoid along with a new Motor brake.
Even with having aquired a nice new shiny hand held diagnostic tool,has not allowed me,of limited electical skills to work this one out?
I just cannot afford the time and more expense of getting a new motor now to find that I still have a "lemon" sitting in my garage.
The other thing is I am moving out to Canada at the end of summer so I will be leaving this "dud" behind now.

For anyone reading this in the UK, I would advise you NOT to go near anything RXV like the plague. If like me you thought fixing up a buggie would be a good project ,try another type, would be my advice!

Seems like I am going to have to give this one up for sale as spares and admit defeat!

Many thanks to all those who have attempted to help and assist ,(Bob) for instance.

Regards to all (for now)

Mcalan
I'm sad to hear of the result of the shop evaluation. It sure sounds like you may have a shorted EM Brake FET in the new controller. A re-assignment of the motor brake FET to another unused FET could resolve that via a parameter reconfiguration and the swapping of a wire at the controller connector. I can't blame you for getting disgusted though. The move to Canada will probably be a welcome break for you. Please keep in touch my friend.

Bob
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 PM   #36
JHS1368
Not Yet Wild

Bob, I enjoy your post and your knowledge of carts. Especially the RXV.
I have just started a project with a 2009 RXV that I am rebuilding. I replaced the
wiring harness with a new one. When I got to the motor the weather lock connection on the new harness was different from the old one. It appears these wires may be going into the brake area (not that sure). I found the male side of the new plug. Is it as simple as
cliping off the old one and putting on a compatible one? Have I given you enough info? Thanks Joe
JHS1368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #37
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS1368 View Post
Bob, I enjoy your post and your knowledge of carts. Especially the RXV.
I have just started a project with a 2009 RXV that I am rebuilding. I replaced the
wiring harness with a new one. When I got to the motor the weather lock connection on the new harness was different from the old one. It appears these wires may be going into the brake area (not that sure). I found the male side of the new plug. Is it as simple as
cliping off the old one and putting on a compatible one? Have I given you enough info? Thanks Joe
You could do that, or you could buy the harness adapter from E-Z-GO. I don't have the part number handy. I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've been so busy with other things lately that I have not been reading posts here daily like I used to do.

Bob
Old 02-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #38
JHS1368
Not Yet Wild

Bob, thanks for the reply. I installed the new metri pack connector and it went together fine. I think. When I powered up and tested everything I could at first smell an electrical smell and then had smoke coming from the brake controller. I shut down immediately. The brake was really hot to the touch from this short test. I had the cart on jacks when I did this. A little back ground on this cart. I got it from a golf course that closed down. This cart sat and did not move for almost one year. Rats ate out most of the wiring harness. The wheels were locked up and it would not be moved. I replaced the batteries, a full new wire harness with solenoid, a new charging harness. I also replaced a part on the controller. I was not sure the controller itself or the motor was any good. On my test run today, the motor turned fine and the controller seemed ok. Will a simple brake replacement take care of the issue or should I be looking for something else. I appreciate this site, between all the info and videos on line I have learned so much, Thanks from New Mexico, 200 miles from everything. Joe
JHS1368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO