lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
clubwagon460
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Electric CC IQ speed magnet mistake

I have searched to see if anybody did something as dumb as I have to no avail. I was researching the speed magnets for my 2002 CC and purchased a speed magnet for the ADC motor. Well it says to pull the passenger wheel, remove the two screws, and pull the speed sensor. I did this and then realized I have a GE motor (not the top hat speed sensor) and now those two screws wont go back in. Once I realized this, i pushed to cart and can hear something loose in the engine housing. What did I unscrew and what is the easiest way to fix this? Do I have to pull the motor? Appreciate the help and feel free to laugh at my mistake.
clubwagon460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Electric CC IQ speed magnet mistake

Yes, you have to pull the motor.
You have removed the screws for the bearing retainer.
Take the motor out and then remove the end cap (four long bolts)
Best method is getting a longer (2+ inch) screw that is the same thread as the retainer screws and put it in one of the retainer holes so you can "pull" the retainer close while installing the second screw, then after one screw is in and snug, remove the longer screw and replace with the second retainer screw.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

BTW you are not the first one to do that. I would guess 1/2 of the people on here have done that. Turn run/tow switch to tow and unhook main negative and main positive battery cables before you go pulling the motor. You don't want to have to replace the controller also.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
clubwagon460
Not Yet Wild

any link information on how to properly pull the motor so I don't make another mistake in the process? haha Thank you so much for the replies!! Very knowledgeable
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Take the cap off of the motor. Go to the hardware store and find a screw that matches one of the ones you removed, but longer. About 2-3 inches long. Use it as your fishing pole. I believe it's an 8-32 screw. Once you get the long one you can screw it into the bearing retainer a little, mount the plate, and use the longer screw to position the plate while you start the small original screw. Once you tighten the original screw, remove the long one and replace it with the other original screw.
Motor diagram to help you visualize it:

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
clubwagon460
Not Yet Wild

So I have disconnected all the wiring from the motor and 4 bolts on the motor housing but it is hitting the frame before it comes off of the shaft. It also seems to home be taking the housing off not the guts off of the shaft. I can see the copper coils are staying where they were. Did I remove the wrong bolts? Wow what a mess I've made for myself haha
Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

You have to remove the motor from the differential first.
There are four bolts holding the whole motor to the rear end. Take those out, work the whole motor off the shaft....could be stubborn and not want to come off, but keep at it.
Then you can take the end cap off on a bench.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Because the bearing retainer is now loose the armature is staying on the shaft.
Hopefully the armature will slide off.

You can remove the 2 rear leaf spring bolts and lower the rearend down if the frame is supported by jack stands in front of the differential. That will allow the outer part of the motor to slide off.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
clubwagon460
Not Yet Wild

Finally got the motor back together, mounted, and now when I go to drive it, it clicks once when I hit the gas pedal and one more time when I let off of it. Sounds like the drivers side where it clicks. I was careful to keep in tow mode and disconnect the main negative and positive and didn't reconnect anything until I was done. Solenoid now? It drove fine before I tried changing the speed magnet
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Did you push the brushes back down against the commutator when you re-assembled the motor?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car