lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
zellers474
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Reverse doesn't work

Just purchased an 07 ez go I believe it is an ext. Used it last week and ran ok. Went to use it today started in reverse and it just shuttered then nothing. Forward still works. I put it on charge just to make sure that it wasn't the batteries. When the batteries showed over 80%. I tried it again. I can her a click but nothing in reverse. Any help on what took for would be greatly appreciated.
zellers474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse doesn't work

07 with a rocker switch F&R on the dash? Probably a bad F&R switch or bad controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

The '07 TXT PDS has a FNR rocker switch on the dash. Pop the rivets loose on the bottom of the dash panel pull the panel loose. The FNR switch has three wires on it. Make sure the rocker switch is in the center N position. I don't remember if the upper wire is for the F or R so be prepared for either. Put a jumper on the center wire to either the upper or lower and press the pedal and see if you get movement. Then do the same on the other.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellers474 View Post
Just purchased an 07 ez go I believe it is an ext. Used it last week and ran ok. Went to use it today started in reverse and it just shuttered then nothing. Forward still works. I put it on charge just to make sure that it wasn't the batteries. When the batteries showed over 80%. I tried it again. I can her a click but nothing in reverse. Any help on what took for would be greatly appreciated.
Using logic helps to diagnose this. If it clicks and goes in forward, but only clicks and stutters or does not go in reverse, it's pretty clear where the problem is.

In forward, the solenoid activates, and the controller defaults to forward. In reverse, the only difference is the reverse line is enabled. It's not one or the other, it's one or both. If it were the switch only, it would go forward while in reverse, if the reverse wire was not making connection. So this logic indicates that the controller is at fault. Anyone else see the logic in this conclusion? Or is my understanding of the PDS control logic flawed? Dunno, I never messed with a PDS cart, but the SepEX controls in EVs that I worked with used that sort of control logic.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Using logic helps to diagnose this. If it clicks and goes in forward, but only clicks and stutters or does not go in reverse, it's pretty clear where the problem is.

In forward, the solenoid activates, and the controller defaults to forward. In reverse, the only difference is the reverse line is enabled. It's not one or the other, it's one or both. If it were the switch only, it would go forward while in reverse, if the reverse wire was not making connection. So this logic indicates that the controller is at fault. Anyone else see the logic in this conclusion? Or is my understanding of the PDS control logic flawed? Dunno, I never messed with a PDS cart, but the SepEX controls in EVs that I worked with used that sort of control logic.
You've described the logic of a DCS controller(and/or), but a PDS controller is based on a different Boolean equation (or only).

The DCS controller defaults to forward and has to be told to go into reverse mode by putting battery pack voltage on Pin-4, however the PDS controller defaults to neither and has to be told to go into forward mode by putting the "Auxiliary" voltage from J1 Pin-1 on the controller onto J1 Pin-3, or into reverse mode by putting that voltage onto J1 Pin-2.

One of the two microswitches on F/R assemblies of Series and DCS carts ought to be called the Run switch since its contacts are closed in both F and R, while the contacts of the other microswitch are only closed in R. For a PDS controller, the F/R switch is simply a SPDT/center Off switch. Ones set of contacts are close for Forward and the other set for Reverse, never are both sets closed at same time. (Unless the switch is FUBAB)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You've described the logic of a DCS controller(and/or), but a PDS controller is based on a different Boolean equation (or only).

The DCS controller defaults to forward and has to be told to go into reverse mode by putting battery pack voltage on Pin-4, however the PDS controller defaults to neither and has to be told to go into forward mode by putting the "Auxiliary" voltage from J1 Pin-1 on the controller onto J1 Pin-3, or into reverse mode by putting that voltage onto J1 Pin-2.

One of the two microswitches on F/R assemblies of Series and DCS carts ought to be called the Run switch since its contacts are closed in both F and R, while the contacts of the other microswitch are only closed in R. For a PDS controller, the F/R switch is simply a SPDT/center Off switch. Ones set of contacts are close for Forward and the other set for Reverse, never are both sets closed at same time. (Unless the switch is FUBAB)
Thank you JohnnieB. Sounds like the RXV setup, one wire for forward and another wire for reverse. I follow that logic quite well. The Sepex controllers that I had experience with were likely of the DCS era, because I went AC drive after that. I guess it's best I stick to the RXV stuff these days and leave the sepex stuff to you guys that know the subtle differences so well.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Thank you JohnnieB. Sounds like the RXV setup, one wire for forward and another wire for reverse. I follow that logic quite well. The Sepex controllers that I had experience with were likely of the DCS era, because I went AC drive after that. I guess it's best I stick to the RXV stuff these days and leave the sepex stuff to you guys that know the subtle differences so well.
I defer AC drive questions to others for roughly the same reasons.

I've learned some of the theory of operation for AC drives, but transitioning from AC drive theory into AC drive reality is a gray area for me and the RXV manuals that I have been able to find aren't much help, nor are the Curtis manuals that I have been able to find. Of course, I haven't tried all that hard since I more interested in DC drive systems.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
JDutour
Not Yet Wild

My Marathon did the same thing. After checking EVERYTHING, I purchased a new controller. It fixed the issue.
JDutour is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO